Issue redeeming game codes?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Having fun with my new gaming PC, fans are a bit louder than I was expecting, but I'm yet to figure out all the competing controls software (Asus for motherboard, Corsair for AIO cooler and case fans, Nvidia for GPU, etc.).

Anyway, have set up accounts for, and redeemed two of my 3 freebie codes:
  • Assassins Creed: Valhalla - redeemed, 50GB download went smoothly and I've played it for an hour, getting 70fps on Very High (needs to be tweaked a bit)
  • Far Cry 6 - redeemed and awaiting release
  • CoD: Cold War - won't redeem via GeForce Experience, says my hardware does not match the requirements to redeem this code (have I been given the wrong code, is my hardware really invalid, or should I have received a different freebie?)
Anyone come across this that can help?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ARe you sure it's supposed to be redeemed on GeForce Experience? That's not a gaming platform, I'd be surprised, should be on a game platform or website?

Gavras

Master Poster

I imagine you are following the above instructions.

With the AMD Valhalla, it required confirmation of hardware, then activate with Ubisoft.

for COD CW it looks like it is using Experience for that.

all I can suggest is latest drivers or ones that have been released for COD CW.

make sure both Experience and Battle are logged in and working.

have Experience do a scan of games,

after that try forums for Nvidia, although they should be plenty on here with code to activate that should be able to help.

Finally, you did get it with your PC order and not seperate?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I got the emails yesterday, just before my PC was delivered.

First thing I did was let Windows run through all of its updates, and then installed the Corsair, Asus, Nvidia software...which updated some drivers.

Once I'd cleaned out some bloatware (MS Office, Skype, etc.) I thought I'd try the machine with one of the freebies.

I just followed the instructions in the email (has codes for CoD and GeForce Nowl, and the website told me to download the latest GeForce Experience to redeem it there.

I tried to redeem it in the app, but it just comes up with the error message.

I haven't tried the 2nd code for 1 Year GeForce Now membership as I'm not going to use the streaming service.

Will search the Nvidia forums now...although I'm not a CoD fan anyway, so maybe I should just offer it on here?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
First thing I've seen on the forums is that the 3070 DOES NOT come with any game promotion (there was one for Watch Dogs Legion and one CoD Cold War)...so looks like my change from 3080 to 6800 to 3070 to get mine before Christmas has fooled the system somewhat.

Will have to investigate how I give this back to the pool, as there's no point it being assigned to me if I can't/shouldn't use it.

Or maybe I should offer it on a first come first served basis to the first 3080/3090 owner who's got the Watch Dogs freebie, but wants an additional code for CoD Cold War?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've emailed PCS to see what they want me to do with this unused code...reply not guaranteed before Christmas ;)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've also noticed another 'issue'...but totally my error.

Spent about an hour trying to get my Corsair K70 RGB keyboard to sync to the iCUE Link pattern I'd created/selected...only to realise the K70 that PCS sell isn't the same K70 that is now listed on the Corsair website.

DOH o_O

Yes, the PCS website does indeed only show the red lighting (which I'd assumed was just an example), and doesn't mention RGB...just 'dynamic lighting effects via iCUE'...and all the other cheaper/dearer ones listed are RGB.

The Corsair website only lists K70s with RGB, but mine is a single colour (red) - when I read Cherry MX 'red' on the description, I assumed it was the key type, not the LEDs.

Anyway, got it set up to use Cylon strobe effect - by my command!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cherry are the key switches, not the colour of the RGB.

But there are many different versions of the K70
I know all of this...NOW...it was an easy oversight on my part as I was concentrating on the main PC and just stuck what I thought was a mid-range Corsair RGB keyboard on there - didn't realise they had non RGB ones as the UK website only lists 3...all RGB...and I thought I was getting the first one "Cherry® MX Red" (y) ;)

2020-12-03_12-33-08.jpg

I'm not having a go at PCS...just pointing out my own carelessness/stupidity when trying to build my first gaming PC 🤪

It's probably a moot point anyway, as I'm not even sure I like the height and long key travel compared to my Mac keyboards, so might end up just using a Mac one. Will give it a few/lot more hours over the weekend and see if I'm comfortable swapping between keyboard types or not.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know all of this...NOW...it was an easy oversight on my part as I was concentrating on the main PC and just stuck what I thought was a mid-range Corsair RGB keyboard on there - didn't realise they had non RGB ones as the UK website only lists 3...all RGB...and I thought I was getting the first one "Cherry® MX Red" (y) ;)

View attachment 20102

I'm not having a go at PCS...just pointing out my own carelessness/stupidity when trying to build my first gaming PC 🤪
Yeah, those are the Mk 2's which are a newer version than the ones PCS sell.

Gavras

Master Poster
With RGB keyboards, they are good for night time gaming.

door closed, all lights off.

just you, the keyboard back glow, the light from screen, noise cancelling headphones (volume up a tad).

and then play Resident Evil 2 (other similar).

becomes really immersive and bottom clenching.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think it's probably just my muscle-memory from years of typing on Mac/flat keyboards.

I'll probably get RSI if I try to switch after that long...although the older Mac keyboards used to be full height mechanical anyway.

1990s
Apple_Extended_Keyboard.jpg

2000s
2560px-Apple_Keyboard_%28A1048%29.jpg

Now
2560px-AppleA1243JP.jpg

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Got my reply...the code is useless to anybody else.

It can only be redeemed on a 3080 or 3090, and anyone who bought one of those already has the code.

I'm happy with the 2 I can use, and it will be a couple of weeks before I'll need another game (y)

Gavras

Master Poster
Got my reply...the code is useless to anybody else.

It can only be redeemed on a 3080 or 3090, and anyone who bought one of those already has the code.

I'm happy with the 2 I can use, and it will be a couple of weeks before I'll need another game (y)
Oh well you tried to do the right thing.

have fun with Valhalla it is very tweaksble on settings.

A lot of settings provide zero impact but eat up resources like a fat bloke at a wedding buffet.

for example I am playing custom (mainly high) at 1080p using my GTX 1060 6gb card and still getting over 60fps.

I need to further reduce the sun thing as it’s a bit too shiny at times, too much glare, pretty for first 2 mins but then a pain on rest of game.

The latest patch brought some good improvements.

I love the carnage and the heads rolling

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've played and like (most of) the Assassin's Creed series, so will no doubt put 200 hours in again...finding every last piece of treasure/codex/messages/etc.

Really need to sort my room out though, as it now has 2 iMacs, 1 W10 desktop, 1 W10 laptop, 2 additional monitors, 4 speakers, AIO printer, back-up disks, RAID storage enclosure...and is really messy...just can't seem to find the half a day I need to remove everything and re-order everything.

:p