Issue with computer "pop up"

Kmce

The past few weeks whilst in game, the game has been closing to desktop for no reason, but the other day i noticed there is a "pop up" opening on my computer then instantly closing, far to fast for me to see what it is, its sort of like the cmd prompt, but its white. Does anyone know a way i can figure out what this is and get it to stop/remove it. I have run antivirus scans and malaware scans, and nothing was found, so do not believe it is anything like that.....I hope.

Tom DWC

Hi there,

Difficult to say, the scan coming back clean is a good sign but it doesn't necessarily mean the system is clean. The next time it happens it might be worth grabbing a screenshot(s) of everything within processes under task manager. If you post that here we can have a look for anything untoward that may be running in the background. It would be worth doing the same for start-up programs.

Rakk

The Awesome
As TomDWC says it's difficult to work out with not much info.

Though one thing to check, if it only happens with one specific game, see if anyone else playing the same game has the same issue (for instance the game I play has a tendency to just close to desktop when its trying to use too much memory - but I know numerous other people also playing get exactly the same issue). If it is only when you play one thing, what game is it just out of curiosity?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is there anything listed under the critical or error sections of the Windows event log?

Kmce

It happens in any game i play. It happens exceptionally fast but i will try and get a look at the task manager when it occurs. I have a bunch of stuff in the error part of the event log, but nothing in critical

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It happens in any game i play. It happens exceptionally fast but i will try and get a look at the task manager when it occurs. I have a bunch of stuff in the error part of the event log, but nothing in critical

What's in the error section?

Kmce

What's in the error section?

In the past 24 hours i have 30 of them, including

Kernal-eventTracing
Volsnap
appModel Runtime
CAPI2
Chcp client
Service control manager
DistributedCOM

Those are the ones listed under system, then there is application ones including
MSinstalkler
system restore
rerflib
application hang
application error
Side by side

I am in the need of clearing out some harddrives, so might do that soon and hope it might fix the problem when i do so

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the past 24 hours i have 30 of them, including

Kernal-eventTracing
Volsnap
appModel Runtime
CAPI2
Chcp client
Service control manager
DistributedCOM

Those are the ones listed under system, then there is application ones including
MSinstalkler
system restore
rerflib
application hang
application error

Side by side

I am in the need of clearing out some harddrives, so might do that soon and hope it might fix the problem when i do so

Are the 'application error' and 'application hang' errors for the same application? I'd be tempted to stop whatever that application is and see whether the popups still happen.

I'm assuming that 'rerflib' is actually 'Perflib'? This might well be the pop up you're getting, it's the related to the Windows performance library and generally relates to errors in the performance library configuration. There are two things I'd try here, the first is the system file checker and the second would be a rebuild of your Windows image.

To do the first open an elevated command prompt and enter the command 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes). This will take a while to run, if it reports any errors found and not corrected you should proceed to the second step. If it reports errors found and corrected then reboot and see whether the popups stop. If it reports no errors found then your system files are probably ok and you don't need the second step.

To do the second open an elevated command prompt and enter the command 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' (without the quotes). This will also take a while to run. Whether it completes with errors or not reboot afterwards and see whether the popups have stopped.