Issues with Sound

I recently purchased a PC - I followed the instructions regarding set up and everything went well

Unfortunately we are having an issue with the sound - it appears to play certain things i.e it will play a theme tune to a TV program (say via Netflix) but once people start talking there is no sound at all

When we go on YouTube to watch a video - again the same happens - we cannot hear anything this time including songs etc

The owner is unable to communicate with his friends whilst playing games etc

Any idea what we can do to rectify this please - the sound card installed is ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO

Any help with this issue would be gratefully received as at present it is ruining the gaming experience

Bhuna50

Author Level

Can you post your full PCS spec please.

PCS P209 ARGB MID TOWER CASE
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4) ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
4GB AMD RADEONTM RX 5500 XT - HDMI, DP, DX® 12
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
NOT REQUIRED
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIESTM CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
PCS FrostFlow 80 Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
50cm RGB LED Strip
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Do you only have the sound problem when playing online content? What happens when you play something stored on the PC? I believe there was a problem with the WIFi card you have, where Windows install the wrong drivers. There is a thread describing what to do, but I can’t find it. It might have been @SpyderTracks who provided a description of what to do?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would expect it may be more related to the ports you're using on the PC?

Which ports do you have the speakers plugged into? What colour are they?

Different ports relate to different channels, so a surround channel will only produce parts of the sound related to surround effects, it's possible it's plugged into one of those channels by accident.

The symptoms don't seem to relate to an audio driver issue as far as I can tell, it would either play or it wouldn't, it wouldn't be mix of either.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Could this one be relating to 5.1 surround sound setting? In the past I have had issues where an audio output set to surround sound would send voice or other audio channels to a non-existent speaker?

I would have thought that Windows these days would be clever enough not to allow such a setting for a non-surround system - and I can't figure a way to reproduce the issue on my system - but might be worth looking into maybe?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Finally found the surround sound settings. Looking at it I unfortunately think it might make no difference but might still be worth a shot:

Right click on the speaker icon on right side of the taskbar and click "Open Sound Settings"

Then click on "Sound Control Panel"

Then select the playback device your using and click "Configure"

A window will open with various output options - see what it's set to and see if changing the setup makes any difference:

1621887697593.png