Italy + Brexit = ?

Eldavo

Hi,
I just ordered a 2000€ laptop before realizing: Hey, UK is out of EU! What happens now??

Pcs' TOS say that any customs will be paid by the customer. Yay! Luckily, it LOOKS like the customs' duties are 0% and I only have to pay the 22% IVA (which is the Italy's VAT), and that's included in the price, unless the customs decides to apply it twice (there also 15 euros of fixed price, that's ok). But most importantly, what about the shipping, so FedEx?

My questions are:
Is the UK VAT included in the price? Do I have to pay it?
Does FedEx apply duties? To who does it apply? To the seller or to the costumer? If they do, are they included in the price? I hope they don't apply anything - that's over 100€ !!

Well I have one more question but i don't expect an answer since you're not Italian:
Do you think i looked up correctly? Did I make some mistakes, eg there ARE actually duties to pay from Italian customs etc.

It would be so painful for me to have paid 1600€ for a laptop with 400 (22%) of taxes and discovering I have to pay more, especially if it's a huge amount (like, 20% of 2000€??)

P.s. obviously, in the Italian forums and government websites there is only absolute chaos - nobody knows anything and I doubt that even Italian's pcs staff does (I will try to call tomorrow)

Citrus_9

Expert
Hi,
I just ordered a 2000€ laptop before realizing: Hey, UK is out of EU! What happens now??

Pcs' TOS say that any customs will be paid by the customer. Yay! Luckily, it LOOKS like the customs' duties are 0% and I only have to pay the 22% IVA (which is the Italy's VAT), and that's included in the price, unless the customs decides to apply it twice (there also 15 euros of fixed price, that's ok). But most importantly, what about the shipping, so FedEx?

My questions are:
Is the UK VAT included in the price? Do I have to pay it?
Does FedEx apply duties? To who does it apply? To the seller or to the costumer? If they do, are they included in the price? I hope they don't apply anything - that's over 100€ !!

Well I have one more question but i don't expect an answer since you're not Italian:
Do you think i looked up correctly? Did I make some mistakes, eg there ARE actually duties to pay from Italian customs etc.

It would be so painful for me to have paid 1600€ for a laptop with 400 (22%) of taxes and discovering I have to pay more, especially if it's a huge amount (like, 20% of 2000€??)

P.s. obviously, in the Italian forums and government websites there is only absolute chaos - nobody knows anything and I doubt that even Italian's pcs staff does (I will try to call tomorrow)
PCS should apply only Italian VAT if you've chosen Italy and Euro in the very top of the website and delivery to Italy. You should see yourself the price excluding VAT and including VAT. The UK VAT is 20% so if it's a 22% VAT applied - then it will be Italian.

Please note that if PCS apply the UK VAT, you will be charged the Italian VAT by customers which you will need to pay to your tax office (most likely before PC gets delivered to your house through a courier company).

There should be zero import tariffs for PC and PC parts as per WTO agreement.

I'd strongly recommend contacting PCS by email with your above questions and would be nice if you return here and post the answer you'll receive from PCS.

Eldavo

Nice, thank you! I confirm that excluding vat + 22% = including vat, so pcs charged me the Italian vat. As I said, I hope customs realize I already paid vat.

My main concern now is what FedEx decides to do - I hope that, as you said, there are no import tariffs (so pcs will pay the export tariff to FedEx, right?)

Eldavo

I'm also concerned about PCS not filling the paperwork correctly and me paying the price of their errors

Citrus_9

Expert
Nice, thank you! I confirm that excluding vat + 22% = including vat, so pcs charged me the Italian vat. As I said, I hope customs realize I already paid vat.

My main concern now is what FedEx decides to do - I hope that, as you said, there are no import tariffs (so pcs will pay the export tariff to FedEx, right?)
Don't rely on my comments 100% please - I'm not a fully qualified accountant yet, but on the way to ACCA. But you can validate my knowledge using a bit of an internet research pretty quick.

Customs and FedEx will know regarding VAT everything from the paperwork PCS will get ready for shipping. Only if the documentation isn't prepared well, should you have any issues. I'd say that PCS and the customs will get use to the rules within a few months as it's not a rocket science, to be honest. PCS only shipping PC parts and some peripherals and the customs in the EU countries already trading with non EU countries long time so each party will have some exercises to do until they learn the procedures.

Just a quick note that all other EU countries (except the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) will have same trading rules from PCS to any other EU country as Italy as per above.

Citrus_9

Expert
I'm also concerned about PCS not filling the paperwork correctly and me paying the price of their errors
That's not how it works. If paperwork is done wrong, in most cases an item automatically is being refused to enter and being returned. You may get an additional option the item to be on hold until you pay outstanding taxes but I think currently customs will return items as they assume of a mistake rather ran outstanding tax - they will know best which option is more likely, based in the item code and paperwork.

Then PCS would correct the documents and send the item again to your country. This would only mean a delay for you.

Sometimes customs/tax office/delivery company may contact you regarding taxes but if you believe you shouldn't pay them, I would strongly recommend to contact your supplier (PCS in this scenario) to clarify and verify the situation.

Eldavo

That's not how it works.
Unfortunately if you live in Italy anything can happen to you for random reasons 😂 but not really pcs fault here. In general, this is a very confusing situation and thus the chance of a human error is high.

Anyway, I'm kind of relieved after searching the net and asking you guys. I hope I'll remember to provide updates. :) Thanks

Citrus_9

Expert
you've always got the invoice showing the Italian vat
Nope. Previously nearly all purchases (depending on the item class as per The Combined Nomenclature EU classification system) bought in the UK but shipped to another country within the EU were charged the UK VAT as the seller based in the UK. Due to Brexit the UK HM Revenue and Customs will lose a lot of money because now VAT, according to the WTO, being charged and items classified based on the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS) developed by the World Customs Organisation (WCO). Now VAT go to the country's, to which the item will be shipped from the UK, budget.

kozuki

Enthusiast
You've all probably read my thread about a similar issue, only to a different EU country. I have received confirmation from PCS today (they said they took this long because they needed to double check everything with accounting) that they amended my invoices and got them ready for my preferred method (sending with no VAT applied and I take care of all import fees and taxes once it reaches my country). Now my invoice says "Terms of Delivery: DAP" and has included a commodity code for import tax.

Eldavo

Hello! I phoned Italy PCS some days after this post and they said they will think about everything. In fact, I received the laptop with no papers or anything! Nice