It's That Time Again

Tom DWC

We got pretty similar builds man! This kind of spec is so ridiculously fast compared to what I'm used to - my last pc was an Enigma III with a 520m!

I hope you really really enjoy it like I am!

Indeed! Glad to hear you're enjoying yours, I am too, it's well exceeded expectations. At this rate I won't be reviewing it for a while yet! :)

Tom DWC

Out of interest, what speed is your RAM running at? The ASUS site says the SABERTOOTH only supports up to 1866mhz as standard, with no mention of its (O.C) values as per other boards, which i thought was odd for an overclockers board.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#specifications

...and the P8Z77-V LK as a comparison..

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/#specifications

It's running at 1600MHz with the overclock. Wheras the lower frequency RAM would have been at 1333MHz after the OC. So a very slight benefit, but I mainly got the RAM to match the board. :)

kruppsy

Master
It's running at 1600MHz with the overclock. Wheras the lower frequency RAM would have been at 1333MHz after the OC. So a very slight benefit, but I mainly got the RAM to match the board. :)

I don't get that (I get the matching bit :))?

That gives the impression they have overclocked purely with voltages and kept the DRAM divider and FSB frequencies down? I would have expected to see the RAM follow an arc of overclock with the CPU, not go lower than its recommended speed from the outset?

Surely you could get at least 1866mhz even with an overclock? Otherwise whats the point in stocking 2400mhz RAM?

Very confused! :D

Last edited:

Tom DWC

I don't get that (I get the matching bit :))?

That gives the impression they have overclocked purely with voltages and kept the DRAM divider and FSB frequencies down? I would have expected to see the RAM follow an arc of overclock with the CPU, not go lower than its recommended speed from the outset?

Surely you could get at least 1866mhz even with an overclock?

Very confused!

I don't really either. :) I just remembered from my last build which was overclocked where I had 1600MHz RAM and it was reduced down to 1333MHz. So I figured 2400MHz would follow the same trend down to 1600MHz and it did.

I spose it has something to do with stability, though I don't know which was why I let PCS do it. I'm not confident enough to play around too much if it works, a little knowledge is dangerous as they say and that's me when it comes to overclocking. :D

kruppsy

Master
Id love a sneak peek at your bios to see what they've done...seems fishy to me...and I'm not that clued up.

Tom DWC

Id love a sneak peek at your bios to see what they've done...seems fishy to me...and I'm not that clued up.

AI Overclock Tuner: XMP
BLCK Freq: 100
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Auto
Mem Freq: 1600
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
Load-Line Calibration: Auto
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.375
DRAM Voltage: 1.65
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
CPU C1E: Disabled

As far as I understand it (I asked PCS what voltage they OC the chip at before deciding) after doing a bit of reading around the voltage is high but acceptable, and it does seem to be very stable.

Realistically I won't always be running it 24/7 @ 100% load or anything like that.

kruppsy

Master
Is that a readout from a program or BIOS? It doesn't tell me why the RAM clock is set so low and the manual Voltage is lower than I expected actually, my Core 2 Duo sits at 1.4V in Auto mode (tweeking the fsb and multipliers)

FWIW I would never use a program to overclock, BIOS is much cleaner with far more options. You should easily be able to hit the 2400mhz for your ram safely, for example.

It does beg the question why PCS stock the 2400mhz RAM, as BEAST have 1866 and 1600mhz available, clocking it down is odd. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Tom DWC

Is that a readout from a program or BIOS? It doesn't tell me why the RAM clock is set so low and the manual Voltage is lower than I expected actually, my Core 2 Duo sits at 1.4V in Auto mode (tweeking the fsb and multipliers)

FWIW I would never use a program to overclock, BIOS is much cleaner with far more options. You should easily be able to hit the 2400mhz for your ram safely, for example.

It does beg the question why PCS stock the 2400mhz RAM, as BEAST have 1866 and 1600mhz available, clocking it down is odd. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Those are the settings listed for the order when I log in to the main site.

Hmm yeah I see what you're saying, it would be interesting to know more. I really can't say much cause I just don't know enough about the ins and outs of overclocks.

kruppsy

Master
Those are the settings listed for the order when I log in to the main site.

Hmm yeah I see what you're saying, it would be interesting to know more. I really can't say much cause I just don't know enough about the ins and outs of overclocks.

Apologies for prying, its born out of curiosity thats all :)

Tom DWC

Thought I'd give an update regarding the OC. I've been looking into it and come up with different settings.

Figured that if modern Intel CPU's these days can downclock on idle even when overclocked (by overclocking via the turbo boost multipler) then may as well have the voltage decrease with it just like it does on stock settings (with an offset voltage as opposed to manual).

Seems like a real plus over the old school method of a fixed clockspeed to me, cause you get the best of both worlds.

Managed to get my max temp down from 95 degrees to 72 degrees, with a max voltage of 1.2 instead of 1.375. I had to drop the overclock down 300MHz, for a modest 4.3GHz, though the offset voltage method would still work for a higher overclock.

Well worth having a play in my opinion, glad I looked into it more, not only better for the lifespan of the PC but lower leccy bills too. :)

kruppsy

Master
Thought I'd give an update regarding the OC. I've been looking into it and come up with different settings.

Figured that if modern Intel CPU's these days can downclock on idle even when overclocked (by overclocking via the turbo boost multipler) then may as well have the voltage decrease with it just like it does on stock settings (with an offset voltage as opposed to manual).

Seems like a real plus over the old school method of a fixed clockspeed to me, cause you get the best of both worlds.

Managed to get my max temp down from 95 degrees to 72 degrees, with a max voltage of 1.2 instead of 1.375. I had to drop the overclock down 300MHz, for a modest 4.3GHz, though the offset voltage method would still work for a higher overclock.

Well worth having a play in my opinion, glad I looked into it more, not only better for the lifespan of the PC but lower leccy bills too. :)

Nice to know...shows how behind the times I am when it comes to OCing...seems like its moved on a lot from the good ol' days :)