I've got an itch that i need to scratch

robin h 25

I've got an a serious itch that i need to scratch, and I've been itching since 2013, and that itch is, Sim Racing,

So in 2009 i bought a full Fanatec race sim setup, which only lasted me until 2013 and it was mainly for sim racing on consoles with games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo, on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3,
having spent an arm and a leg to get this, I was disappointed to find out that in late 2013, when the new consoles at the time (Xbox One & PS4) came out, were not compatible my Fanatec setup,
I didn't invest in another setup due to being scared that if I ordered another, that it wouldn't be compatible with the newer/future consoles (Xbox Series X and Playstation5),

So as of now...
Over the past couple of days, I've be ordering what i need to get back into sim racing, I'm going for the direct drive option, though one down side i have, is that i don't have the space anywhere to fit a full cockpit and the best i can do with the space i have, is a wheel stand... this is what i ordered from Overclocker's... Next Level Racing wheel stand 2.0 is does support direct drive wheels and if i do end up with more space some day, I can add a rear seat section to it, which will make it into a full cockpit just like this...Next Level Racing GT Track cockpit, which is the reason i went for the wheel stand 2.0, i may not have the space now but maybe in the future??, only time will tell,

I've pretty much almost got everything i need and all item are being shipped and on there way, just waiting for Fanatec to release and sell the GT DD pro wheel base only,

On the left is a GT DD pro bundle (wheel base / steering wheel / pedals) and on the right is a CSL DD (wheel base only), for which both have/are the same wheel base's, only difference is is the GT DD pro is usable on PC / Playstation 5 / Xbox Series X, which is what I'm after but only the wheel base, I don't need the steering wheel or pedal as i have order the steering wheel and pedal that i'm after separately.
2022-02-22 (2).png

I'm going to be looking forward to getting back into sim racing again and playing games such as the upcoming Gran Turismo 7 on PS5, Forza Motorsport 8 on Xbox Series X and PC, Assetto Corsa Competizione on PC, and any future sim racing titles
I would love to do iracing but i'm not fond of having to pay for a monthly subscription just to play.

robin h 25

Just worth a watch, these are some new pedals from Asetek (who build the water pumps in most AIOs).

I've seen those and there very nice pedals, but there's 2 downsides for me with those pedals..

1. They don't look to be compatible with consoles, PC only from the looks of them,
2. I don't like a brake pedal that's too hard with a short travel, this is my style of a brake pedal, if you watch the pedal cam...
with everything attached to a wheel stand, I runs the risk of the wheel stand sliding across the room under heavy braking if the brake pedals are too solid and hard to press, that's the downside of having to use a wheel stand over a full cockpit, I have to make do with what i can get with what little space I have.

These are the pedals and steering wheel that i got separately...
Fanatec Clubsport V3 Pedals
Fanatec Clubsport Formula V2.5X Steering Wheel

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The Clubsport V3s are pretty good pedals IMO. They're not proper race feel but they're a good compromise and solid enough to play with. Did you get the damper kit? It's a good addition.

It'll be a great setup once done. Fanatec are doing a great job with their offerings, really providing what's been asked for years. I may upgrade to one of their DD bases in the future but at the moment I don't play enough to justify it :D

robin h 25

The Clubsport V3s are pretty good pedals IMO. They're not proper race feel but they're a good compromise and solid enough to play with. Did you get the damper kit? It's a good addition.

It'll be a great setup once done. Fanatec are doing a great job with their offerings, really providing what's been asked for years. I may upgrade to one of their DD bases in the future but at the moment I don't play enough to justify it :D
I've looked at the damper kit and performance kit for the V3's, I'm going to see how the pedals perform once I've got every thing and it's all setup, then decide if i need to get those kits, again being used on a wheel stand and not a full solid cockpit, I'm expecting some amount of flex in the wheel stand pedal plate, though I'm hoping it's not to much depending on the forces used on the pedals and what the wheel stand can take.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not sure if it's an option for you but I actually used this previously:

It can take a lot more force than you would expect, it handled the CSW2.5 kit with pedals etc no problem. It wasn't solid, obviously, but certainly good enough to enjoy.

Just in case a folding deck chair option was a decent compromise for you :)

robin h 25

Not sure if it's an option for you but I actually used this previously:

It can take a lot more force than you would expect, it handled the CSW2.5 kit with pedals etc no problem. It wasn't solid, obviously, but certainly good enough to enjoy.

Just in case a folding deck chair option was a decent compromise for you :)

No, it's not really an option, it will fit in the middle of my room with what little space i have left, but i would need to move a lot a stuff around the room just to get the monitor in front of it and that's just way to much hassle to be doing day after day, once I'm done racing, i'll need to put everything back to where is was.

With the wheel stand i ordered, all i need to do is unfold it, put it in front of where i sit, job done, no need to move anything around, and fold it away when I'm done,

Also a number of Youtube sim racer influencers that have reviewed that Playseat Challenge, all don't recommend to use this with a direct drive wheel base.

Yesterday i got the wheel stand and today i got the pedals and steering wheel, I spent about an hour or so today putting the wheel stand together and placement fitting the pedals,
The whole thing feels rock solid so far, no flex in the pedal plate when fully pressing down on that 90kg load cell brake pedal,

I'm just now waiting on Fanatec to sell the GT DD Pro wheel base only, Fanatec can't sell it yet until they get approval from Sony because of the Gran Turismo licence.