Juat ordered my laptop

Hi all

I have been after a laptop for a while. Was looking at Kobalt as I really prefer the matte screens rather than the glossy ones and PCs didn't stock them. I was really put off ordering through them though because of all the horroe stories that I have heard.

It just so happens that I checked back on PCs websites and Matte screens have became available, yay... :), and also the 580 became available, talk about good timing.

So over the weekend I have ordered the following:

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£89)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 510 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 450MB/sR | 210MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£108)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ADVANCED-N 6230 inc BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (3,800 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Really looking forward to receiving this beauty. This should last me a good couple of years.

No, I just need PCS to hurry up and build it... :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Looks like a beast!

I take back what I said in your other thread...I dont know much about laptops, but not sure anyone can suggest much more than that?! :D

Flucky

Very nice, will handle like a dream. Massive fan of the intel 510 series :D not got one myself though :(
580 is a beast.

Thats what I'm hoping.

I'm a fan of the Intel SSD's myself. Have an Intel G2 SSD in my main PC. Works really well. I'm expecting the 510 to perform really well (Hopefully).

I will be putting the 580 through it's paces once I get it.

chrsmi431

Any reason why the SSD is your second drive ?
I just ordered my laptop on here after a 3 month horror story with Kobalt - believe me you made the right choice m8

Any reason why the SSD is your second drive ?

No not really. I haven't ordered an OS so PCS will not be installing anything on it. I will make sure Windows gets installed on the correct drive when I install it.

I've read nothing but bad stories about Kobalt with their lead times. I don't understand how they can consistently do that and still get customers.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its called covering up the evidence, if this wasnt the first site i found on google during my search it may have been Kobalt for me and i probably wouldnt have known any different, i bet they rarely get customers return for a second PC

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
No not really. I haven't ordered an OS so PCS will not be installing anything on it. I will make sure Windows gets installed on the correct drive when I install it.
Pretty sure PCS installs windows on first drive whether you order it or not,
so,may be best to watch out for that.

Pretty sure PCS installs windows on first drive whether you order it or not,
so,may be best to watch out for that.

Is that just for testing. I am assuming that I will not be receiving the laptop with windows...

I will swap the hard drives around if need be.

Rakk

The Awesome
Is that just for testing. I am assuming that I will not be receiving the laptop with windows...
Yes, just for testing.
The installation is generally left on I believe, but given it's only using a license for testing you would be severely limited in what you could use it for anyways (and it may also have a time limit on it as well - not sure of the exact details), but it should be easily removable anyway.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I believe It's is a normal windows 7 home premium.according to previous threads,Just needs a valid OEM key.

Thats an interesting way to do it. Not that it matters. I have my own copy of Windows that I will be installing.

Out of interest, do PCs supply a CD with the drivers on it, or is it a matter of just downloading them.