just a thought..

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
Given current electricity bills and the forth coming rises in said bill in Sept.. i think ill turn my new PCS computer into a crytominer when winter returns.. that way it might make me some money with the bonus of heating the room up. 😂 gotta be cheaper than using the storage heaters my flat comes with (pure electric. gas isn't available)
might even pull the GTX 1060 card out of my old PCS computer and put it in the new one if i can :D

what do you think?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Given current electricity bills and the forth coming rises in said bill in Sept.. i think ill turn my new PCS computer into a crytominer when winter returns.. that way it might make me some money with the bonus of heating the room up. 😂 gotta be cheaper than using the storage heaters my flat comes with (pure electric. gas isn't available)
might even pull the GTX 1060 card out of my old PCS computer and put it in the new one if i can :D

what do you think?
It's certainly not a bad thought tbh. And especially now that crypto has crashed so much, a lot of the smaller operators have ceased mining which has made returns higher, and costs of investments lower, so now is a good time to get into it really.

I realise you were probably being semi serious, but there's some good sense in it too ;)

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
It's certainly not a bad though tbh. And especially now that crypto has crashed so much, a lot of the smaller operators have ceased mining which has made returns higher, and costs of investments lower, so now is a good time to get into it really.

I realise you were probably being semi serious, but there's some good sense in it too ;)
yeah.. just have to put up with the banshee screaming of the fans on the GPU and CPU cooling radiator as they hit 100% power.. but there again i just have to turn my hearing aid off and complete silence returns :ROFLMAO:

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
The silver linings of growing older :ROFLMAO:
Oi.. i'm not that old... :p can't have hit middle age as that usually comes with the urge to buy something like a fast sportcar/motorbike... or start playing golf etc. i haven't got the money for the former and the latter bores me to death!!

oh wait.. i bought a new computer!! o_O:ROFLMAO:

oh and been deaf since i was born btw

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oi.. i'm not that old... :p can't have hit middle age as that usually comes with the urge to buy something like a fast sportcar/motorbike... or start playing golf etc. i haven't got the money for the former and the latter bores me to death!!

oh wait.. i bought a new computer!! o_O:ROFLMAO:

oh and been deaf since i was born btw
I'm building up to my mid life crisis (number 4 I think) 2 seater convertible. Hopefully only a couple of years away. I'm gonna grow what hair I have left really long and wear aviators just to make it even more awkward.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Aza

Rising Star
I think I saw something about different drivers from nvidia having the LHR removed/deactivated?
Do you think its genuinely a good idea? Crypto mining and warming the flat at same time seems kinda funny but realistic at same time... and I think crypto is going to slowly climb again over next 12 months...

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
I think I saw something about different drivers from nvidia having the LHR removed/deactivated?
Do you think its genuinely a good idea? Crypto mining and warming the flat at same time seems kinda funny but realistic at same time... and I think crypto is going to slowly climb again over next 12 months...
not sure if it's a good idea or not.. i suspect unless you have a high hash rate you won't make much money from it lol

As a trial run i installed Kryptex and updated my Nvidia drivers (my RTX 3080 is an LHR card) and i get roughly 85 MH/s on Dagger Hashimoto ETH which as of when i posted this equates to $1.80 per day or $54.53 per month.. (it can either tell you what it earns in $ or Euros) thats the GPU.. the CPU hash rate is almost next to nothing..

The question is can you put up with the banshee screams of the GPU fans, the CPU fan(fans if liquid cooling) and case fans(if any) running at 100% for 24 hours a day?? i can due to my ability to 'turn off my hearing' :p

Aza

Rising Star
not sure if it's a good idea or not.. i suspect unless you have a high hash rate you won't make much money from it lol

As a trial run i installed Kryptex and updated my Nvidia drivers (my RTX 3080 is an LHR card) and i get roughly 85 MH/s on Dagger Hashimoto ETH which as of when i posted this equates to $1.80 per day or $54.53 per month.. (it can either tell you what it earns in $ or Euros) thats the GPU.. the CPU hash rate is almost next to nothing..

The question is can you put up with the banshee screams of the GPU fans, the CPU fan(fans if liquid cooling) and case fans(if any) running at 100% for 24 hours a day?? i can due to my ability to 'turn off my hearing' :p
Ive seen a post about rolling back drivers to a previous version, they deactivated LHR on some of the drivers and then reinstated it more recently.... couple of posts when I googled it https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...e-cards-but-it-is-not-foolproof.622255.0.html was one... 85MH/s might mean youve already done this though?

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
Ive seen a post about rolling back drivers to a previous version, they deactivated LHR on some of the drivers and then reinstated it more recently.... couple of posts when I googled it https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...e-cards-but-it-is-not-foolproof.622255.0.html was one... 85MH/s might mean youve already done this though?
Hmm i have version 512.77. won't be updating the drivers then

forgot to mention i haven't overclocked the GPU either. my pc is still under warranty and until that runs out i won't be

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hmm i have version 512.77. won't be updating the drivers then

forgot to mention i haven't overclocked the GPU either. my pc is still under warranty and until that runs out i won't be
For mining you often get a better result from underclocking/undervolting in any case as it can reduce power consumption without significantly reducing hash rate. It also helps with the fan noise thing.

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
just as a test, ive left my pc on with Kryptex running for the last 4 days.. what ive got in return is $7.69, the value of which varies according to the value of bitcoin at the time. I don't think i want to look at my electric meter as my GPU is consuming 322W and the temp has stayed stable at 63C. my room is rather hot.. i think i'll discontinue this test till autumn/winter/spring :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

now if i had a couple of nvidia A100 it might be a different story :p

D

Deleted member 41971

just as a test, ive left my pc on with Kryptex running for the last 4 days.. what ive got in return is $7.69, the value of which varies according to the value of bitcoin at the time. I don't think i want to look at my electric meter as my GPU is consuming 322W and the temp has stayed stable at 63C. my room is rather hot.. i think i'll discontinue this test till autumn/winter/spring :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

now if i had a couple of nvidia A100 it might be a different story :p

on the plus side you now have a tan while sitting inside.