Just bought laptop is it any good?

GamingLaptop

I just bought a laptop for gaming, mostly the games on steam.
Will it work and run well?

Specs:

Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-3210M (2.50GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse CM Storm Xornet Gaming Mouse (£19)
Gaming Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Mini Gaming Mouse Pad* *DUE 22/01/13**(£7)
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset (£29)
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Intel Anti-Theft Technology NONE
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Keithg

Enthusiast
I have the 17" version and you will love it but I have a couple of recommendations.

Definitely up the hard drive to a 7200rpm version, a WD black, the 5400's are slow and load times will be significantly longer.
You may also want to consider another 4GB of ram, 8GB is the current sweet spot for performance.
Add silver warranty as well.

Other than that it is great.

Pagey

Bright Spark
I have the 17" version and you will love it but I have a couple of recommendations.

Definitely up the hard drive to a 7200rpm version, a WD black, the 5400's are slow and load times will be significantly longer.
You may also want to consider another 4GB of ram, 8GB is the current sweet spot for performance.
Add silver warranty as well.

Other than that it is great.

If you can stretch your budget then I'd also advise this.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
What sort of games were you looking to play on Steam? Most should run find on your dual core but definitely some of the latest games recommend a quad core if possible. Not essential and will be quite an expensive upgrade but just thinking of 'futureproofing'. To be honest my brother plays games on a standard i3, 6 gb ram, integrated graphics acer laptop and that runs most basic games fine. Just depends what sort of load you're looking to put your laptop under.

Agree with the above guys though, the WD black is a much quicker hard drive and 8gb ram should last you a long while. 4gb is fine but like my other suggestion, a lot of latest games recommend 4gb purely to play the game. If you're right on the limit of ram required, laptop is going to struggle more to play, consequently going to get hotter and hotter, you're gonna have a bad time.

Entirely depends what you're planning to play though :) Most games will be fine, just depends if you're looking to delve into the likes of bf3, skyrim, etc etc.

GamingLaptop

Thanks for all the advice might have to up the RAM
Also was looking to play games such as Dayz, gta, cod maybe battlefield ect.
Wouldnt mind running games on low/medium settings aswell

just something that will not lagg and keep stable fps

Keithg

Enthusiast
Like I said, I have a similar machine and it will be a long time before you run anything on low/medium settings.
Everything I run is on high (metro2033, crysis, rage, guild wars2)