Just built a laptop is this a good buy and would it run games any good?

chrisw93

This is the spec of the laptop i just built is it good, particularly for gaming...

Chassis & Display:
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy

Processor (CPU):
Intel® Core™ i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2410M

Memory (RAM):
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card:
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video Ram - DirectX® 11

Hard Drive:
500GB SATA HDD - 8MB Cache

If this isn't very good or you would suggest any imrpovements feel free to state them i am on a budget of around £500 - £650... The above spec came out at £638 inc. VAT

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
It's a good spec. Just swap the HDD to the Scorpio Black which will be better in performence. Everything is good to go although i would recommend upgrading to a better cpu as in future they are not upgrable as well as the gpu.

chrisw93

Last edited:

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
Teaz, do you ever sleep?

Chris, I came on this site with idea of spending about £800. The Pez, Teaz and Fear triple act eventually convinced me to up that to just over £1300.

And I'm still thinking about increasing the CPU although I have now placed an order, I've already changed order slightly once already.

I would try and spend money on things you can afford at the moment, e.g. don't bother with too much RAM etc as lots of things can be upgraded in the future.

Oh, and definately go for the Silver Warrenty as it gives you 1 year 'pick up and return' as opposed to 1 month in case anything goes wrong. Nd it only costs £5.

Last edited:

chrisw93

I cant afford an i7 but i might be able to get myself a slightly better i5 is it worth it for the 2.60ghz instead of the 2.30GHz

chrisw93

if i just get the 2GB Ram (FOR NOW) and the 250GB Scorpio Black (FOR NOW) and get the i5 2.60GHz cpu instead of 2.30GHz i wont go over my budget muchandi can just upgrade the ram and hard drive later right? will it cost a lot more upgrading these later?

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
I would go for 1x4 G ram which isn't really costing/saving that much and, if you are as you said at the very top of your thread, going for the Enigma III 540 chaissis (Which starts at £630 inc vat & delivery) this will leave you with a spare slot to allow you to add another 4 G ram whenever you like which would probably cost you about £40 if you did it yourself.

But that's already pretty much blown your £650 upper budget.

Bear in mind the 2 things which are most difficult to change:

1). CPU (normally simpler just buying a new laptop)
2). GPU (Do-able but difficult)

Hard disk can be done quite easily but no idea how techy you are.

Your granny could probably add extra RAM but if in doubt with ANYTHING, get advice. I'm sure the actual PCS guys would be willing to talk you through it over the phone.

3rd last thing, if it doesn't absolutely, definately have to be a laptop, you'll get a MUCH higher spec for same money (especially for gaming) with a PC.

2nd last thing, there will be far more knowledgeable people on the forums tomorrow at a reasonable hour!

Last thing, I'm going to bed.

Jim

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
Teaz, do you ever sleep?

Chris, I came on this site with idea of spending about £800. The Pez, Teaz and Fear triple act eventually convinced me to up that to just over £1300.

And I'm still thinking about increasing the CPU although I have now placed an order, I've already changed order slightly once already.

I would try and spend money on things you can afford at the moment, e.g. don't bother with too much RAM etc as lots of things can be upgraded in the future.

Oh, and definately go for the Silver Warrenty as it gives you 1 year 'pick up and return' as opposed to 1 month in case anything goes wrong. Nd it only costs £5.

Lol i certainly do, reason i cant that moment or for the past 2 weeks is im doing astrophotography and its not one of them quick snap and go photography :) Its attached to my tripod where the camera's shutter is left open for an mount of time and re-done again to catch the trails of the stars which isnt a short procoess on how its done. The last post was already me packing up my equipment and hitting the sack :)

I Could ask the same? lol

As for the laptop if budget is tight then the i5 is adequate enough to handle thing along with the spec. The HDD is worth getting since they are faster than the normal sata drive and should speed up things :) it's a solid spec already, as the thought of suggestion going for the higher cpu was due to them not being upgradable and in time advancements happen an they get left behind you could say. But the i5 is good and should cope for the years so come :) So what you came up originally with is actually good. you can stick with the sata drive if you prefer since its speed are copable :)

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
wouldnt this be the part where you help him consider the higher specs Pez? You could work your magic now :p

pez

lol..I could, and it would be easy. But, if thats you budget, then theres not much you can do. I'd always say if you can put another 1-200 in on a laptop, its longevity would last...:)

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
OK,

this is not a drill.

Pez is not recommending a higher spec.

No-one phone an an ambulance, but could someone get a cold-compress for my head as I am still in shock.

But hey, I'm still finalising (sp) my spec re CPU. Any help appeciated on different thread.

Last edited:

pez

Heading there now Jimbo :)

In all seriousness, the thread post said he had a relatively strict budget. Plus, I'm at work right now, so can;t really spec anything better based on the budget.

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
pez,

ta again.

I'll have a look later on but don't put youself out - esp. if you're working.

Not been much response from the thread poster, would be good if one of you guys were around once he wakes up (or comes back on).

Jim