Just how effective is the Notepal L2 Notebook Cooler?

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Is it worth the 25 quids. Better to have it than not? Even if it helps to keep the temperature 5-10 C cooler that's still decent imo. I don't know if it can do that so that's why I'm asking

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Even if it helps to keep the temperature 5-10 C cooler that's still decent imo.
How much cooler it keeps a laptop will depend a bit on how the laptop was being used in the first place. If the laptop was sat on a bed, with the blanket clogging the vents, then a cooler would help a lot. But so would just putting it on a table with good airflow around it.

I've seen laptop coolers improve temps by ~5 degrees, even with systems put on a table with plenty of space around them.

Nobody can promise you an exact number though as there are too many variables. :)

In terms of "is it worth it", when you think a laptop cooler with fans is £20-30 or so, and a gaming laptop is £1000-1500 or more, most people would probably consider it good value for money if it shaves a few degrees off (perhaps making the laptop cooler to the touch, or letting the fans spin slower and making the system overall more quiet, etc...)

I assume you're asking because you have a gaming system, not a business ultraportable.

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
No, for me a gaming laptop is basically a desktop replacement. The portability is a non-factor. I have a tablet for that. So once the laptop is on my table it'll never come off unless I'm wiping the dust away bi-weekly.
Now, my current laptop doesn't have a cooler. I got it for about £800 and because of that I don't feel protective of it all that much. But I'm planning to buy one of those 17 inch Recoil RTX 2 monster laptops for £2000+ and I need to protect that investment. I know, most laptop components are designed for mobility so they probably won't reach those insane 90 to 100 degree Celsius temperatures but if the CPU or GPU have any funny ideas about that, I'd like extra insurance against that in the form of these coolers. You're right, for something that's costing over £2000, £25 peripheral is a chump change, a rounding error.
I was gonna order the cooler alongside the laptop regardless of anything but wanted to get some 2nd opinions from this forum. I read up some stuff online and if these coolers can limit the temperature by about 5 degrees that seems to be what they're for. Nothing dramatic, no impact like it'll save the world or anything like that.