Just ordered for shogun 2 : ) can't wait!!!!!

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
I have done some research and I'm pretty sure this should play shogun 2 pretty well (well I hope so lol ) does this system look okay to last a few years? Of gaming and general use? Thanks

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)
Quantity

Price: £1,308.00 including VAT and delivery.

Just ordered so if you guys think there is anything wrong with this spec please let me know thanks

Jak

Not much at all wrong with that. :D I would strongly recommend changing that 675M to either a 680M (if you're okay with the extra layout) or a HD7970M (more powerful but a bit cheaper than the 680M), reason being is that the 670/675M is really just a rehashed 570/575M (with the same lower test results as said cards) which really lowers it against the likes of the 680M or the HD7970M. Also, I noticed you only specified one HDD when the 17.3" Vortex can take two. Depending on what you'd be doing either a smaller SSD (like 90/128GB) or a Momentous XT (with a decent sized flash cache) would probably serve you well as the 1st drive with that 750GB WD as the 2nd.

Hope this helps! :D

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
I would love to have the 680m but wow that card is expensive!! And the 7970m I'm hearing too many driver problems and I'm not that great at driver updating anyway lol so giving that a wide birth ; ) . Might upgrade to a ssd later in the year but wonga is tight at the moment . Thanks for reply

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Oh well what's another £240 lol my excitement got the better of me and I now have the 680m let's hope it will blast shogun 2 and be good enough for Rome 2 when it's out : ). Roll on next Tuesday !!!!!

Jak

Heh yeah, I know what you mean about teh wonga. Only managed to order my Vortex III thanks to a maintenance grant for Uni to help me with this kinda thing. :D Also, regards the driver issues, to be fair both of the two leading mobile GPUs, the GTX680M and the HD7970M are having problems. Such is the way with having bleeding edge hardware! xD Still, I've had a good track record with ATi (yes, still insist on calling the GPU arm by the ATi moniker) so I went with the 7970M. i work in IT too so dealing with slightly buggy hardware/software is but some fun for me (so long as it doesn't damage the hardware of course). May I ask why you mentioned next Tuesday? If you're expecting it then I would politely suggest to add about half a week on at least just to give it some buffer room since it may be in processing/pre-production for a while (the majority seem to stick here the longest of all the stages). I'll add I totally sympathise with you though, ordered mine last Friday evening (about 10PM on the 24th Aug) and it entered processing this Monday gone, the 27th, and slipped into pre-production yesterday on the 28th where it is now still. Naturally I'm doing my best to wait but I must admit I'm tearing my hair out here myself. xD With any luck it'll arrive by the middle of next week round the 4th or 5th of September so that I have some time to play/tinker (stick my 128GB Samsung 830 in) and move stuff from the old laptop and get it ready for Uni later in the month. Do keep me updated with how your order goes as well! ;)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Oh well what's another £240 lol my excitement got the better of me and I now have the 680m let's hope it will blast shogun 2 and be good enough for Rome 2 when it's out : ). Roll on next Tuesday !!!!!

very nice mate :)

I'm a big total war fan! it pushes my rig to max on ultra!!!

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I'm hoping this will play shogun 2 at ultra? Not sure about Rome 2 though lol. Just want it now so I can start my conquest of Japan : )

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah I'm hoping this will play shogun 2 at ultra? Not sure about Rome 2 though lol. Just want it now so I can start my conquest of Japan : )

I'm not sure about ultra, (with all the ticky boxes and everything at highest) my 2600 and dual 580's only gets about 30-40 fps during a battle, when close up.

But you will defo be able to play at the 1080p settings, have a play around and see wht fps you get, (using fraps) I'd certainly use vysnc though, just to stop the card running at 100% giving you alot of heat!

I'd also get ya self a cooling pad/laptop cooler.

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
No ultra?! Right that's it I'm cancelling lol. Yeah I will track it and post it on here once I get the lappy : ) . Can u recomend a good laptop cooler?

On another note how do I get my laptop specs at the bottom of my posts?

I so want to play total war now! Do u have the fots game?is it good?

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Dispatched for delivery tomorrow before noon!!! Thanks very much Pcs! Now I just hope DPD run as smooth as you guys : )

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Dispatched for delivery tomorrow before noon!!! Thanks very much Pcs! Now I just hope DPD run as smooth as you guys : )

ok, cool

If you could set up a live feed, so we can all watch as its delivered along with the un boxing... cheers mate :)

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Lol I think I might be too excited m8 and just rip the box open like the hulk plug the beast in and start the very long download of steam games ha ha ha (dam them) . How do I get that flaps thing you was talking about to record my fps in game? Thanks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hahah its called fraps, not flaps, lol that just sounds awful, - http://www.fraps.com/

you can download a free version, but I don't know how good it is for recording, i just use it every now and then to observe frames per second.

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Lol sorry yeah that does sound awful (iPad spell check piece of ****) !! Okay I will download fraps once I get the machine : ) also how do I list my specs of the laptop at the bottom of my posts like you have?! Thanks

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
thanks tom. i have just finished downloading steam wow that takes ages lol now for a bit of shogun and to c what fps i get : ). would you recomend changing my 680m driver to the beta one? or stick with the one pcs installed for now?

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
lol i know its on 92% now it is painfull watching it go so slow!!!!! okay im right in thinking i need to download the beta driver but delete my old drivers first? dam im rubbish at this sort of thing lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I just download and run the new beta drivers, never bother deleting the old ones.....

if you aint got it, get ccleaner, brilliant tool!