Keeping my new laptop cool?

Ed75

Hi Guys,

Please see the key specs of my new laptop below, which I should receive on Monday.

I have read on the forums that some people have been undervolting this system because it has been running v. hot at high loads.
Could you explain to me:

a) how do I go about safely undervolting my system, and
b) what software I should use to test CPU and GPU temps while under load?

Thanks! Ed

• Chassis
  • Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
    Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
  • Memory (RAM)
    16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
    1st M.2 SSD Drive
    500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
    Battery
    Proteus V Series Lithium Ion Battery (7180mAh)
    Thermal Paste
    COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Bastet

Silver Level Poster
I use a fan cooling pad which is connected to the laptop via USB, the 5 fans can be adjusted.

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
The laptop doesn't need to be undervolted for normal use, but for heavy stuff it reaches 90c and above without undervolting. Obviously if you're comfortable with those temperatures then you can leave it, if not then undervolting to -0.130 reduces temps on average by about 10c in my experience.

I use the Intel Extreme Tuning program to undervolt (it's extremely easy to do). There's various other programs that do the job but I haven't used any of them.

I used HeavyLoad to test the laptop temps, as well as checking the temps during normal use.

Ed75

Many thanks, all, for your advice and recommendations. I think I'll give the Extreme Tuning app a go first. I now have a cooling pad, too.

I'm looking at something similar. Could you tell me, how loud are the fans when it is under load?

BTW I use HWMonitor for monitoring temperature of CPU and GPU.

There is a program called ThrottleStop which allows you some control over any CPU throttling; but needs to be used with care (I use it to forcibly slow my old laptop CPU to cool it down faster, and then once it has cooled, I tell it to run a max speed for *no more than a few seconds* - so the CPU knows it doesn't have to throttle any more). Before I found that tool, I would have to reboot whenever max throttling kicked in as it would never speed up even after the CPU was cool again.

Thanks for answering :) It's one of those pieces of information that's quite hard to get hold of (not here specifically, I mean for laptops generally!)