Keyboard commands not recognized on wakening

pmay805

I have an HP desktop with Windows 7. Sometimes when my PC is sleeping I press the escape button and the computer wakes up but any key I press after that like typing my password in, or if take the password requirement away, no key for letters or numbers will work either on the browser, excel, or word. The mouse does continue to work. I have to restart the computer by engaging the power button to get the keyboard to work again. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? :helpsmilie:

Spuff

Expert
I had a very similar issue that after my PC woke from sleeping it would go crazy forcing a reboot.
I just stopped it going to sleep, issue avoided.

:sleep1::taz:

Last edited:

pmay805

I have one kybd connected to usb port and one connected to ps/2. Sometime one will work and the other one won't. They alternate. Sometimes they both won't work and I have to reboot. Now the mouse won't work on occasion as well & I have to reboot. Any ideas??

T

TheGeeza

Could try reinstalling the USB drivers.
Go to start menu- device manager - Universal serial bus controllers - view - show hidden devices - uninstall the specific driver for your usb device.
To reinstall it - go to control panel - click find and fix problems - configure a device. Windows should then reinstall the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakk

The Awesome
I have one kybd connected to usb port and one connected to ps/2. Sometime one will work and the other one won't. They alternate. Sometimes they both won't work and I have to reboot. Now the mouse won't work on occasion as well & I have to reboot. Any ideas??

Just out of curiosity, both keyboards weren't connected at the same time were they?
On first read, I read it as both were connected at the same time, and if they were, I'm not sure either would be happy.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes, they are both connected now. And I can key this reply from either one.
As Rakk said,having two keyboards connected,especially one "to usb port and one connected to ps/2" could possibly be causing a conflict.

Spuff

Expert
As Rakk said,having two keyboards connected,especially one "to usb port and one connected to ps/2" could possibly be causing a conflict.

Ah, I have two keyboards always connected (my old Mac keyboard is by my side for in-game chat and currently the commands that won't fit on my PS3 controller for ESO). This is never a problem when my PC stays awake, but this could have been the issue behind the waking bender.

pmay805

Well, I think my PC keybd and mouse problem may be gone. Initially, the keybd would not operate on wakening. After a month or so, the mouse started doing the same thing. Only a reboot would bring them to life. A week or so later, even the reboot would take 3 tries before they came to life. During all this time I had tried other keybds and mice, run anti-malware software, registry cleaners, uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers and USB ports, run memory and BIOS diagnostics, replaced the CMOS battery, and all to no avail. Finally, I pulled by hard drive out of the tower and placed it in another. The problem seems to be resolved since I’ve had no incidents today. I’m assuming the problem was in the motherboard. Since it progressively got worse over time I would guess it was a hardware problem on the motherboard as opposed to firmware but I’m no tech expert. I’m just hoping I’m done with this problem.

Anyone out there know how expensive a motherboard is?

Thanks for everyone’s input. :)