Keyboards & Mice for gaming and general use?

Jiffy

Just to get in the mood for when my new rig arrives, I have just been playing some FPS games on my old PC using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and Mouse. I haven't specced a new keyboard & mouse as I was planning to use the old one.

I have, however been experiencing terrible input lag, so I borrowed a standard corded keyboard and mouse from work and no lag is apparent at all. What's the general consensus these days?

I don't want to shell out a fortune on an expensive gaming specific setup though, unless there are genuine benefits. Are wireless keyboards & mice known to be inherently laggy?

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Im sorry but i dont have the answer to your question but im just saying that if you want a good gaming mice for a good price than the razer death adder is a good choice :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I bought the Logitech K260 set from PCS for £22 as it was £25 on all other websites. It's wireless and cheap but it gets the job done. Works fine on most games, maybe struggles a bit on battlefield but I think that's purely down to how I have my whole room set up rather than the mouses fault. I did buy an adapter to use my 360 controllers today and honestly, I can see what people mean by saying movement is slow with a controller. Using my mouse was a million times better so no, not all wireless suffer from input lag :) I will say that I also used my old wireless microsoft mouse which was a lot bigger and better fitted than my logitech one and it was awful. It was slow even on max sensitivty, you could barely move it around the screen. I definitely recommend the K260 if you're on a budget like I was :)

Portland

Bronze Level Poster
If you're going to game, go wired. Have a look at the proportion of top end gaming mice that are wireless and let that be your guide. Personally I use an old Logitech 518 which is very pleasingly shaped, good response and enough extra buttons not to have to think about "now where did I map melee?" Used a Razr before that which was nice.

Apart from going wired, adjustible sensitivity is handy if you switch from twitch response run and gun to precise aiming a lot.