Keys not working on Keyboard .. What Keyboard do I need ?

jasvau

Hiya Folks, I wonder if someone can help me, before I shell out some hard cash with the possibiloity of ordering the wrong parts ...
ok, so back in 2018, I bought a top spec Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync Laptop ..

For 5 years, she has been a brilliant gaming Platform, and general all round laptop .. for family video editing, hosting a number of virtual machines etc .. But .. she has developed a fault with the Keyboard .. in that I have "lost" function of the Tab and Esc Keys.

As you can imagine, tabing between VM's is quite difficult if the TAB key isnt working !!
The RGB illumination still works, so I know she is getting power, but for some reason, the keys no longer function. Also, while I am on the subject of the keyboard, the quality in general isnt brilliant, as I have lost the print on the most commonly used keys, so I am looking for a replacment.
Checking on the PCSpecialst homepage, under the "My Spare Parts", there are no spare Keyboards in stock (Unless I want a French or Swiss one!) and, speaking to Support, there are no current plans to stock any more of them.
In my discussions with Support I have managed to find out that the Keyboards are made by "Clevo", but that is all the information I can find.
One contact with Support, I was given a model number that I was unable to locate, and in the second contact, I was given a model number that does link to the clevo manufacturer, but there is no picture of the spare part, and Clevo themselves have not responded to my requests for assistance.

First Support Call
Keyboard Model - 6-79-PA70ES0K-190

Which returns No products on any of my searches

Second Support Call

Keyboard Model - 6-80-n85h0-192-1

https://clevo-computer.com/en/spare-parts/clevo/keyboards/p95x-p96x-p97x/rgb/1953/6-80-n85h0-192-1-tastatur-keyboard-rgb-qwerty-english-uk-clevo-2x-screws

So ... I was hoping that someone is able to confirm the model keyboard I need, before I spend 150 euros from Clevo to buy a replacment

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hiya Folks, I wonder if someone can help me, before I shell out some hard cash with the possibiloity of ordering the wrong parts ...
ok, so back in 2018, I bought a top spec Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync Laptop ..

For 5 years, she has been a brilliant gaming Platform, and general all round laptop .. for family video editing, hosting a number of virtual machines etc .. But .. she has developed a fault with the Keyboard .. in that I have "lost" function of the Tab and Esc Keys.

As you can imagine, tabing between VM's is quite difficult if the TAB key isnt working !!
The RGB illumination still works, so I know she is getting power, but for some reason, the keys no longer function. Also, while I am on the subject of the keyboard, the quality in general isnt brilliant, as I have lost the print on the most commonly used keys, so I am looking for a replacment.
Checking on the PCSpecialst homepage, under the "My Spare Parts", there are no spare Keyboards in stock (Unless I want a French or Swiss one!) and, speaking to Support, there are no current plans to stock any more of them.
In my discussions with Support I have managed to find out that the Keyboards are made by "Clevo", but that is all the information I can find.
One contact with Support, I was given a model number that I was unable to locate, and in the second contact, I was given a model number that does link to the clevo manufacturer, but there is no picture of the spare part, and Clevo themselves have not responded to my requests for assistance.

First Support Call
Keyboard Model - 6-79-PA70ES0K-190

Which returns No products on any of my searches

Second Support Call

Keyboard Model - 6-80-n85h0-192-1

https://clevo-computer.com/en/spare-parts/clevo/keyboards/p95x-p96x-p97x/rgb/1953/6-80-n85h0-192-1-tastatur-keyboard-rgb-qwerty-english-uk-clevo-2x-screws

So ... I was hoping that someone is able to confirm the model keyboard I need, before I spend 150 euros from Clevo to buy a replacment
On the underside of the laptop there should be a manufacturers label with the chassis model number?

jasvau

I have Serial -

a small sticker with P/N PC1-1419239 and S/N
I also have Model PA71EP and Product Code PA7EP6-G

that is literally everything on it ...

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have Serial -

a small sticker with P/N PC1-1419239 and S/N
I also have Model PA71EP and Product Code PA7EP6-G

that is literally everything on it ...
I can’t find parts in Eurocomm or Clevo-Europe who are both official parts stockists. I found one Japanese keyboard on Amazon but that’s not great

If you search “Clevo PA71 Keyboard”, PA71 is the model and I think the series is the PA70

If everything fails, are you able to use an external keyboard? You can get some very compact Bluetooth keyboards these days which are quite handy, or just a standard usb keyboard if you’re at home

jasvau

I can’t find parts in Eurocomm or Clevo-Europe who are both official parts stockists. I found one Japanese keyboard on Amazon but that’s not great

If you search “Clevo PA71 Keyboard”, PA71 is the model and I think the series is the PA70

If everything fails, are you able to use an external keyboard? You can get some very compact Bluetooth keyboards these days which are quite handy, or just a standard usb keyboard if you’re at home
I have dozens (and i mean that literally) of keyboards both at home and at the office. Using sn external keyboard on a laptop kind of defeats the object.. but i get your point.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have dozens (and i mean that literally) of keyboards both at home and at the office. Using sn external keyboard on a laptop kind of defeats the object.. but i get your point.
Yeah, just as a fall back if there’s no other option that was all.

jasvau

FIXED IT !!!! .. :cool:

So, Thanks to SpyderTracks (y), I was able to identify the laptop is also known as an Osidian-PC PA71.
There are a few Youtube videos on it, but, what I found was the keyboard was not securely clipped into the motherboard.

I removed the keyboard and tested it using an online tool .. TAB and ESCAPE keys not functioning. I removed the connectors to the keyboard, and found that one was actually not clipped securely in. I removed and re-seated the connector and tested the keys again and to my suprise ... TAB and ESC now working as they should.

Re-assembled keyboard and laptop ... everything working as it should.
Phew ... am I glad I didnt shell out for a replacment keyboard. ... But, now I know what im looking at/for I will not be in the dark !!

Now I know why my employer IBM pay me the big bucks :geek:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
FIXED IT !!!! .. :cool:

So, Thanks to SpyderTracks (y), I was able to identify the laptop is also known as an Osidian-PC PA71.
There are a few Youtube videos on it, but, what I found was the keyboard was not securely clipped into the motherboard.

I removed the keyboard and tested it using an online tool .. TAB and ESCAPE keys not functioning. I removed the connectors to the keyboard, and found that one was actually not clipped securely in. I removed and re-seated the connector and tested the keys again and to my suprise ... TAB and ESC now working as they should.

Re-assembled keyboard and laptop ... everything working as it should.
Phew ... am I glad I didnt shell out for a replacment keyboard. ... But, now I know what im looking at/for I will not be in the dark !!

Now I know why my employer IBM pay me the big bucks :geek:
Bravo, congrats, I didn't realise the keyboard being loose in the frame could affect keystrokes, learnt something.