Killing my PC

liamnic2

Super Star
yo guys

Just wandering...........Is there anyway I can get my laptop to die without leaving any evidence of me causing it. It can't be dropped or smashed to bits. It needs to look like the laptop just went dead. I had an idea of turning off the fan so it would overheat, but it would auto shut down : can I turn that off ? Is there a programme soo intense it would just kill my laptop ?

And no I am not using a PCS laptop. Im waiting untill August to buy my PC but.........if my laptop were to suddenly "die", it would speed up the process ;)

There are restrictions though. No use of :

Weapons
Tools
Martial Arts
Viruses
Gorman (Physically)
Liquids
Flame thowers
Kitchen Equipment
Electrical Equipment
Attempts at "loosing" the laptop

Etc.. Etc...

I need suggestions ASAP

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Start flashing the BIOS then pull the mains lead and battery out halfway into it. That should do it.

liamnic2

Super Star
Can you please explain a bit more in detail. Im a not sure what flashing is. Also, pull the mains out half way AND the battery or just the battery. I want to break my laptop, not set an electrical fire lol

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
If you pull the battery out and leave the mains plugged in, it does nothing. To kill the power, you need to remove both. Not halfway, all the way.

Flashing the BIOS means updating it. It can be a dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you're doing, and if you cut the power halfway through doing it, you'll knacker the BIOS and render the laptop useless to all but the most seasoned PC repairer.

liamnic2

Super Star
If you pull the battery out and leave the mains plugged in, it does nothing. To kill the power, you need to remove both. Not halfway, all the way.

Flashing the BIOS means updating it. It can be a dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you're doing, and if you cut the power halfway through doing it, you'll knacker the BIOS and render the laptop useless to all but the most seasoned PC repairer.

OK so.

1. go into BIOS
2. Start Flashing
3. Pull out mains and battery
4. ACT LIKE A BOSS

Ok Objectives confirmed. Wish me Luck :)

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Just google a bios update for your laptop, download it, start it going, cut the power before it finishes. Job done.

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
If you overclock to the point of it running too hot, it'll shut down or throttle back. It won't damage anything.

The only way to ruin hardware when overclocking is overvolt it, which you can't do on 99.9% of laptops because of the very limited BIOS settings.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
You could take it outside when the weather is ok, and just play the waiting game for it to rain...not your fault then, because it was nice when you went outside :D

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
That's just really stupid tbh unless your laptop is really old and still has a floppy disk drive I don't see why you would want to destroy it.

Having a 2nd computer can be useful and I just hate waste in general, what are you gonna do with it after chuck it in a bin so that it can join the tons of discarded electrical equipment that still work but are too "old"? At least re-use the components.

If it's to convince your parents to buy a new PC then if they're not very tech savvy just display a BSOD on the screen or smthing like that and tell them that it's crashed, no need to destroy the PC completely..

baron75mk2

Banned
killing your laptop so your parents will buy you a new one could backfire on you , if it were my father in the old days when i was young , he would just say "tough m8 you should have taken care of it better"

If this happens then you will be left with no PC at all until whenever they decide to buy you a new one .

Its best to be honest with your parents - after all you only get one set of them.

My father helps me out with PC hardware when i need it as i cant work because i`m his full time carer (he has heart & lung problems) & my mother helps me with games as i do a lot of the same housework , shopping & cleaning etc for her as well - i just personally couldn't do something similar to them as they are trying their best to help me & its not their fault they got old & are now not very well .

I find with my father just being honest & just telling him "look dad this graphics card isn't cutting it anymore for newer games" (or whatever the case may be) is usually the best way - sure you may have to wait a bit longer to get what you need,

But you have not had to deceive to get it :)

Its a good little setup for both me & my father here as sure i can no longer work anymore if i`m looking after him , but i always have any PC hardware & games that i need & plus as i don't have much of a social life at the moment so i`m always here most of the time if he or my mother need me :)

Thing is as old as they are if i pulled something similar , they would probably know it & sick or not my father would boot me out m8.

Just try to explain the legit reasons why you need a new one , they may say no , but if you put your case forward honestly , they might go off & think about it & surprise you - my father has done it with this build i`m on now , he couldn't afford the whole thing , but he could afford just the rig with no GPUs , so i just said to him that that would be great , but i will need to get a part time job for a few months to save the cash for the GPUs - so don't go doing anything that could make you ill for a while.

Turned out i had some money left in the bank i forgot about from when i was working & i could in fact get the GPUs myself , so it all worked out great for both of us.

But if i had purposely wrecked my old PC just to get a new one , i would have been looking for a new place to live , not a new PC .

Just sit them down & try your best to explane why you need a new one so badly - they might surprise you :)

& just hope they don't snoop around on your PC & find this thread [rollinglaugh]

Last edited: