Kingston hyper-x

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
A few months back i bought a pc here and settled with the tri-channel 6gb Kingston Hyper-x 2000mhz RAM (3x 2gb), doing this assuming i could upgrade it in the future but now actually thinking about it, am i not wrong in saying that the only upgrade possible for this is another 6gb, making it 12 in total?

if so i don't think im able to upgrade it as 1 RAM slot is blocked by the cpu cooler and i have 6 slots in total. confirmation would be awesome ! thanks.

Last edited:

bg92

Expert
You should be able to add another 6gb by putting in 3 modules. Is it the cpu cooloer fan that blocks one of the slots? becuase if it is it can be easily removed and put back on.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
No the cpu cooler literally renders the first RAM slot unusable with my type of ram, its twice the depth of standard RAM cards, so i cant use that slot.

BAD SANTA

No if the CPU cooler is blocking 1 ram slot then you can't put any more ram in as you are right and need to fit another 6gb and if you only put 1 or two sticks in it won't work in tri channel if at all. But surely the cooler doesn't cover a ram slot? What cooler do you have?
Can't you remove the cooler and stick some ram in and reseat the cooler?

bg92

Expert
If you can post a picture of it, front view so we can see it properly. and a close up of where the ram slot is blocked

bg92

Expert
Btw the way the only upgrade possible if the ram slot is unsuable would be bying 3x4gb ram modules and selling the ones you have.

BAD SANTA

Surely it would be a lot cheaper to get a coolit Eco or another cooler and solve the problem.

BAD SANTA

Yep get a new cooler buddy, I recommend a coolit Eco, only about £50 and then you can get another 6gb hyper x and in the future get 24 or even more if you want it.
Just sell your other cooler to a mate or something.
Also you will get as good or better CPU cooling from an Eco.

BAD SANTA

I couldn't say for sure but probably, you might need to speak to them directly or wait for admin to advise you.
Don't do anything without speaking to them and they might be able to sort something out for you.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
alright well cheers for info chaps and ill probably get in contact with pcs if i dont see some advice in here monday =)

pengipete

Rising Star
That looks like an Asus P6X58D with a Titan Fenrir.

The obvious solution is to change the cooler for something smaller or narrower. You may be able to bodge a smaller fan or even "adapt" the fins on the existing cooler but that will depend on your practical skills. Alternatively, you may be able to change the fan to a pull by attaching it to the rear of the fins - you'd just need to make a suitable clip. Be aware though that any changes from the designed arrangement may reduce efficiency and/or cause problems for other areas of the motherboard that rely on passive cooling.

These massive coolers - like the Titan Fenrir - are so much bigger than the Intel stock ones and the ATX spec is being pushed to the limit with added featiues like six memory slots that things are getting very tight. If you need the extra RAM and the stock heatsink isn't up to the job (they are a lot better than they used to be and many people - myself included - bought new heatsinks without even trying the original) then look for different design. There aresome with horizontal fans that are much smaller but the current fave amongst many users are the self-contained Corsair water cooled ones - the H50 is highly rated. They are tiny and a very neat design.

There is another possibility that will let you keep everything as it is and still install RAM in slot B1 - unclip the fan and move it up a bit. I probably should have said that first but what the heck ;-)