LA Noire on PC

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
The game came out 10 years ago and as a fan of noir storytelling, I pre-ordered it on Xbox 360 and had a blast playing the game. It's sat unplayed in my Steam library for a while though, as have most games to be fair.

I was feeling nostalgic for how the protagonist, Cole, was overly aggressive if you picked the wrong option during interrogations, so downloaded it last night. I decided to play the game in 4k at 144Hz with maxed out settings and considering I was used to playing it in 720p upscaled to 1080, it just didn't look right to me. It performed well with only a touch of texture pop here and there, but in the end, I decided to drop it down to 1440 and feel that strangely it actually looks better.

The weird and wonderful reality of playing older games in modern resolutions!

D

Deleted member 41971

The game came out 10 years ago and as a fan of noir storytelling, I pre-ordered it on Xbox 360 and had a blast playing the game. It's sat unplayed in my Steam library for a while though, as have most games to be fair.

I was feeling nostalgic for how the protagonist, Cole, was overly aggressive if you picked the wrong option during interrogations, so downloaded it last night. I decided to play the game in 4k at 144Hz with maxed out settings and considering I was used to playing it in 720p upscaled to 1080, it just didn't look right to me. It performed well with only a touch of texture pop here and there, but in the end, I decided to drop it down to 1440 and feel that strangely it actually looks better.

The weird and wonderful reality of playing older games in modern resolutions!

yeah, was that the game on xbox 360 that came with 3 disks?

remember that, liked the game, although seemed a bit of a missed opportunity as the game environment felt empty as opposed to something like GTA, would like a sequel if they take time with it.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
yeah, was that the game on xbox 360 that came with 3 disks?

remember that, liked the game, although seemed a bit of a missed opportunity as the game environment felt empty as opposed to something like GTA, would like a sequel if they take time with it.
That's the one - incredible game for what it was, but could have been so much more!

The developer, Team Bondi, went into administration a few months after the game released and so I doubt a sequel will ever happen. Rockstar own the rights to the game I think, but obviously they're happy put all their effort into more GTA Online content.

D

Deleted member 41971

That's the one - incredible game for what it was, but could have been so much more!

The developer, Team Bondi, went into administration a few months after the game released and so I doubt a sequel will ever happen. Rockstar own the rights to the game I think, but obviously they're happy put all their effort into more GTA Online content.

from this it sounds a bit of a mess behind the scenes,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
IIRC LA Noire was the first game where they used "Motion Capture" where they flimed actors and then translated the movement and textures to the game graphics so it was quite a remarkable game in that respect and paved the way for a new technology:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
IIRC LA Noire was the first game where they used "Motion Capture" where they flimed actors and then translated the movement and textures to the game graphics so it was quite a remarkable game in that respect and paved the way for a new technology:

Motion capture has been used in video games ever since the mid/late 90s for character movement (Mortal Kombat 4 is mentioned in the article), but what LA Noire did differently is they used it for the whole body including facial expressions and it was definitely remarkable for that. The likes of The Last of Us, God of War and so on would not have been possible without the technology being developed in LA Noire. :)

D

Deleted member 41971

Motion capture has been used in video games ever since the mid/late 90s for character movement (Mortal Kombat 4 is mentioned in the article), but what LA Noire did differently is they used it for the whole body including facial expressions and it was definitely remarkable for that. The likes of The Last of Us, God of War and so on would not have been possible without the technology being developed in LA Noire. :)

if this is accurate the game actually sold better than I thought,

"On the day of the game's U.S. release, shares in Take-Two Interactive, Rockstar Games' parent company, closed up 7.75% on the day; a three-year high for the company. The rise was attributed to the positive reviews that L.A. Noire had been receiving.[88] In the last available figures from February 2012, the game had shipped almost 5 million copies. According to NPD Group, L.A. Noire was the best-selling game in the United States in May 2011,[89] at 899,000 copies across the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. L.A. Noire went straight to top of the UK games chart and became the fastest-selling new intellectual property in the UK (a record it held until the 2014 release of Watch Dogs).[93] It stayed top of the UK game chart for three weeks.[94] In Australia, video game stores in major cities reported that the game was going out of stock after a week.[95] L.A. Noire was released in Japan on 7 July and sold a combined 71,057 units on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 version topped the chart, with 58,436 units sold, and the Xbox 360 version moved 12,621 units"