Lafite Help

Lyrrad

Hi

I'm new to this forum and hopefully I will get help required.

My son requires a laptop for school, and requirement is good battery life portability, and for him, looks which I get (he's 13 years old). With a student rate I can get latest Macbook air 128gb 4gb @ £729
I know screen resolution is poor, and specs look ancient, but you don't hear too many complaints from owners. The truth is though I think it's too much money for me to be spending.

So I'm looking at Lafite. I can get a student rate MS 8.1 so don't need that, I have 256gb Crucial MX100 SSD drive so I would like to utilise that. You can't order Lafite with no drive so I'm looking at MSata for operating system, and use mx100 for files. Not ideal, but in my scenario it makes sense.

I don't quite know what the usage will be, but I am trying to ensure this is used solely for school work and I could well do without it being another source of Minecraft or TF2.

I am torn between i3 processor and i5, and am unsure whether to get 4gb or 8gb ram.

The spec asked for is 6 hours battery life, which pushes me towards i3 4gb ram.

I do not know the real world differences between Kingston msata and crucial msata. All I know is that there is option of 120gb kingston whilst Crucial is minimum of 250gb. To keep costs down I think OS on 120gb Kingston makes sense.

Without OS and i5 with 8gb ram and 120gb msata I'm at £513
Without OS and i3 with 4gb ram and 120gb msata I'm at £421

Feedback would be appreciated.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have 256gb Crucial MX100 SSD drive so I would like to utilise that. You can't order Lafite with no drive so I'm looking at MSata for operating system, and use mx100 for files. Not ideal, but in my scenario it makes sense.
have you try contacting PCS and see if you can send the SSD for them to use it as the main drive?
Without OS and i3 with 4gb ram and 120gb msata I'm at £421
i3+4gb would be fine for his intended use

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Why does he need 6 hours battery life? I'm a SENCO and the students at my school using laptops are all allowed to plug in and charge during the day.