Lag when Power cord isnt inserted?

Hi!
Basically I bought a custom Optimus Pro XI about 3 weeks ago and it has been amazing. Yesterday though I realised that a game I was playing was lagging and becoming very choppy for some reason, something that has never happened before, usually its been a breeze. I noticed though that when I put the power cord in, the game reverted back to working normal with very clear graphics and fast speeds. When I took the cord out it wentback to being choppy. I checked other games to see if it was any different but the same thing happened. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? Just because often I am not able to have access to a power plug so am not able to have the cord in the laptop all the time. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!, Jesse.

Spec:
Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Laptops face a constant battle between performance and battery life. If you want maximum performance and are prepared to sacrifice battery life for that then set your power plan to High Performance (it's almost certainly on Balanced now).

barlew

Godlike
It is perfectly normal for laptops to lag when gaming on battery as the power delivery is greatly reduced. Raising the profile to High Performance may help but it will still lag. This will happen with any gaming laptop.

Laptops face a constant battle between performance and battery life. If you want maximum performance and are prepared to sacrifice battery life for that then set your power plan to High Performance (it's almost certainly on Balanced now).
thanks for your reply, I tried this but it hasn't made any difference. is there anything else I can do or is it just something I will have to deal with? Thanks!

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
If it's on battery power I suspect it will most likely throttle back on power consumption by the CPU and GPU whatever power settings you and you will have to have to be plugged in to get the full performance. My old MSI with an 870m would not run the discrete Nvidia GPU and default to the onboard CPU graphics whenever on it was battery only.

barlew

Godlike
thanks for your reply, I tried this but it hasn't made any difference. is there anything else I can do or is it just something I will have to deal with? Thanks!

I have had 4 high performance gaming laptops and all of them lagged on battery. Any laptop you buy will do this.