Lan party powerful Rig

Pgalano

Hi all, i need a powerful configuration that i will use as main desktop at home but that can also be transportable.

here's my little rig that i might order soon..

Case
Thermaltake Armor A30 Gaming Case
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS V GENE: M-ATX, INTEL Z77 ROG MOTHERBOARD
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP - Low Profile CPU Cooler (£12)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE 60 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 2013
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£119)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® K200 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD (£10)
Mouse
LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)
Speakers
LOGITECH S220 2.1 SILVER/BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM (£20)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
SATURDAY DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (BEFORE 12 NOON) (£19)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,312.00 including VAT and delivery.

i was just reading that armor a30 has some heating issue, and if i want to overclock the system soon or later i don't want to have troubles.
Do you have any advice?
Are you already experienced with this case?

Thank you

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

Great spec, very powerful. This case has not been reported to us for cooling issues - if you check the pictures you can see there are more than enough air intake vents.

However, please note that it's not the smallest of mini PCs, so please bear this in mind when considering the portability aspect.

Pgalano

Welcome to our forums :)

Great spec, very powerful. This case has not been reported to us for cooling issues - if you check the pictures you can see there are more than enough air intake vents.

However, please note that it's not the smallest of mini PCs, so please bear this in mind when considering the portability aspect.

Thank you for aswering :)

I know that it is not the smallest case for mini pc, but i want to have the possibility to have a motherboard with more of one PCI-E, so in the future i can add another GTX 670 if i will need... i don't think i can fit a Matx motherboard somewhere else.. in the list if i have understood there are a lot of micro itx cases but just a couple of Matx cases.

Any advice?

thank you :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
That's right - most of our mini PCs use Mini-ITX cases/motherboards that are no good for a secong GPU. The Maximus V Gene can support 2 graphics cards so if more future proof given your requirements. :)

agtrinity

Bronze Level Poster
Possible to have a SLI 2nd graphics card option in the configurator for the Max V Gene in the mini PCs section?

If people knew they could SLI in this form factor, I think many might go for it

Pgalano

Well i think that is not so easy...
it is a small factor case e with a couple of high end cards in it i think that it will be like a little oven...
but hypothetically it is possible... that's because maximus v gene has 2 pci express 3.0.
So if you buy some additional fans and maybe you mod a little bit the case i think you can have an overclocked SLI little rig

Pgalano

yes i was thinking the same, but The hafxb is not so small, and in it, you can fit a standard ATX motherboard, so if you want a true mini-pc with an itx or an mATX motherboard you should take a different case...
I have to say that if in the configurator will be possible to set a standard ATX motherboard in that case it will be my first choice