Laptop build spec

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,
first time poster. looking at a laptop from this site. currently have a m14x with gt555m and got to say the gpu is weak. kind of jumped into buying a pc 2 footed and went straight to that. now after research looking at this build. main use gaming. then web, vids etc, etc

Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2760QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)
Memory - Hard Disk
80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 90MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

now im a tad unsure whether to go for 17 inch screen or 15 inch.
also the processor im edging towards a 2.2 just to save some cash, thats the same with the ssd.
also the 6990m seems to be great for gaming or wait till the gpu refresh? caould i upgrade at another time in this machine?
apologies on the questions and thanks for looking and hopefully helping.

Teaz

Godlike
Welcome to the forums :)

Specs are looking go so far.

You're choice on screen. it varies on people with screen size. 15inch is just easier for portability and a little lighter.

The 6990m is a good choice for performance and price ratio than the 580m so its fine going for.

What is the budget you are working on so far?

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
i was aiming around 1300.

i was worried as some say go for 580m but the price difference is quite steep so the 6990m seems like a no brainer. plus looking on youtube vids it seems well to play games OR do i wait for the next set of gpus to arrive...
just thinking of knocking the cpu down to 2.2. with turbo boost it should take it above 3ghz which surely would be fast enough for games now and possibly next gen.

lol descisions descisions

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
For the gpu, it is going to be hard to upgrade. I would get the 17", it offers better cooling and I prefer the screen size but that is personnal preferance. Also, you can fit two disk drives + the odd in the 17"

Teaz

Godlike
The 6990m is a choice to go for, for its price :)

I can't really say with the next mobile gpus as there really isn't any proper solid info on them.

2.2ghz is perfectly fine for gaming and games down the road.

This is something to look at, it is a little over budget but a good solid build for your use:

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 90MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD7500BPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Total 1348

Configure it here :)

I've popped in a 4GB module stick just so it is easier to pop in another 4GB stick down the road. 4GB is plenty to keep the system smooth along with gaming :)

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
that looks good.
as someone posted earlier the 17 inch would cool better. in my m14x the size of it it does run hot.
ive put the spec you did with a 17 inch screen. just got to get rud if m14x and i think i may press the proceed button:)

Teaz

Godlike
It doe by a small amount. so long as you keep the laptop well ventilated in a good room temp, you should be good. If not a laptop cooler should be the way to go.

Just pop over the spec to the 17inch and the drive options and you should be good, if the price is ok for your budget :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yes, cooling stands are very good for gaming, this is for any laptop, I don't actually game but when I used to convert videos on my old PB laptop, the temps would hit 98-99 before the cpu would throttle down until the temperature reached about 90-95 where it would speed up, heat up and then throttle down again. I built my own cooling stand and running at full whack, can bring the cpu temp down to 60 when converting vids. However, I don't always run it at full whack and on idle when not making too much noise, temps stick around 70 when converting videos. For the drives, in the 17", you can have two HDDs and an ODD, believe me, from my experience, I can tell you this is a god send!