Laptop configuration for best performance

Macco26

Expert
They sent me (and some other people who claimed the problem AFAIK) an email from their assistance with a link to download it.

Doubt they'll put in each one download section. It's a risky process. Unless you ask for the MUX, you won't get it (future shipment of course will have the new BIOS I suppose). They don't want you to risk an RMA needlessly.
But if you ask you'll have it.

PS: and by checking the name of the ROM files I'm pretty sure it should work for ANY version of Ionico, both 15 and 17, both 3060 and 3070. But I can't tell 100% if that's true. For sure it worked for my Ionico 17 RTX 3070. ;)

MusicEmperor

They sent me (and some other people who claimed the problem AFAIK) an email from their assistance with a link to download it.

Doubt they'll put in each one download section. It's a risky process. Unless you ask for the MUX, you won't get it (future shipment of course will have the new BIOS I suppose). They don't want you to risk an RMA needlessly.
But if you ask you'll have it.

PS: and by checking the name of the ROM files I'm pretty sure it should work for ANY version of Ionico, both 15 and 17, both 3060 and 3070. But I can't tell 100% if that's true. For sure it worked for my Ionico 17 RTX 3070. ;)
Hi ! First, thank you for your videos and review, that s fascinating.
I would like to ask you some questions:

I am hesitating between The elimina pro 17 and the ionico 17.
I called Pcs to get more information but they weren't able to help much.

Do you know if the MUX is available on the elimina pro (TongFang GM7MG0R) ?

The Elimina pro I choose is 1450€ and the ionico 1650€ both on RTX 3060
Is the Ionico QHD screen worthed it compare to the Elimina pro FHD ? With the 3060 ?
The E-Pro is quite a bit inferior..but I m more willing to pay 1450 than 1650 but if you tell me it s def worthed it...

What is also confusing is that the Elilmina pro 15 inches ( TongFang GM5MG0O) has a better screen and better i7 than the 17 inches and seem closer to the ionico for about 1450 too.

Finaly, last question, the way you change the Watt and voltage, is it only doable on the ionico or will it be the same on the Elimina Pro 17 (TongFang GM7MG0R)

That would be amazing if you can find time to answer those questions and help me.

thx in advance,

Macco26

Expert
QHD display is wonderful. And the way to use those RTX 30 in general in my opinion.
AFAIK Elimina Pro might NOT have a MUX, or it has but not fully operative: I've seen other SI shipping the very first incarnations of Elimina Pro (in Turkish) and, upon switching to dGPU with the first BIOS, screen went blank and he had to return it. I saw this on YT.
I am guessing they didn't implement it fully and scrapped the idea of it. 99% you'll get a BIOS with no feature and you'll keep it with no MUX for your safety. Just for that I'd largely prefer the Ionico.
And another EU System Integrator is definitely selling the same E-Pro chassis with 10870H + 3060 variant WITHOUT a MUX (they said on reddit, loud and clear). So expect the same for PCS.

Plus 10875H is way better for undervolting than 10750H: Other Elimina Pro users (PCS italian forum) couldn't go more than -80, mine is at -120 mV as I write this. 10870H (for EPro 15) is slightly a worse binned CPU vs 10875H so don't count much on reaching the same. Maybe 90-100?

Tongfang CC and Throttlestop work the same for any Tongfang, so applies also to Elimina Pro (of course GPU TGP migth vary).

PS: do you a favor and buy the pixel dead warranty (30 days is fine) and Artic MX4. There are already people who received 2-3 dead pixel and can't return it for that (ISO regulation says it's ok). Probably anybody w/o warranty is cherry picked to receive the faulty ones from the China, the ones with warranty are excepmpt. For Artic mine is absolutely well pasted. I don't know if with cheap chinese paste would be the same.

Received my Elmina (10870H and 3060) a couple of days ago and have just run Timespy (all stock): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59966475

Looks like my 3060 is maxing out at 105W (90 +15 I guess). From memory the gpu peaked at 86C and the CPU at 92C. I can't seem to be able to undervolt the CPU via XTU - the Core Voltage Offset option is greyed out. My previous laptop, Optimus (1050Ti & 7700HQ), I could use XTU to reduce the CVO by 110 mV and it made a big difference to temps.

This laptop is a bit overkill for my needs. I usually play turn-based games and a bit of world of warships.

Macco26

Expert
Uhm, fact the Clevos this year can't undervolt is a big let down IMO. That 92°C could have been easily lowered, dang.
Did you check in the BIOS if there is any flag to re-enabled XTU controls?
I wonder if the higher tier Defiance is still Undervolt locked.

Last edited by a moderator:

barlew

Godlike
Uhm, fact the Clevos this year can't undervolt is a big let down IMO. That 92°C could have been easily lowered, dang.
Where did you read this? As far as i am aware Clevo's can still undervolt. :rolleyes:

Received my Elmina (10870H and 3060) a couple of days ago and have just run Timespy (all stock): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59966475

Looks like my 3060 is maxing out at 105W (90 +15 I guess). From memory the gpu peaked at 86C and the CPU at 92C. I can't seem to be able to undervolt the CPU via XTU - the Core Voltage Offset option is greyed out. My previous laptop, Optimus (1050Ti & 7700HQ), I could use XTU to reduce the CVO by 110 mV and it made a big difference to temps.

This laptop is a bit overkill for my needs. I usually play turn-based games and a bit of world of warships.
I am not surprised that you cannot undervolt your chip with XTU as XTU does not support it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?wapkw=Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU)

You also need to be very careful trying to use XTU with that chip. With the 10875H it was possible to brick the laptop by applying an un-stable under-volt as XTU writes the values straight to the BIOS instead of implementing through the OS like ThrottleStop. My advice uninstall, it and never install it on that laptop again.

If you want to under-volt the laptop use ThrottleStop.

I am not sure about your chassis but some have the abillity to undervolt the laptop directly from the BIOS as well.

Last edited:

Macco26

Expert
@barlew
Literally in the post above mine ;)
Ye, I am also concerned it can't in a Clevo. Hope your suggestion of going Throttlestop solves his problems.

(Unless 2021 Clevo's have been plagued by the Plundervolt BIOS enforcements by Intel microcode update, hope not).

barlew

Godlike
@barlew
Literally in the post above mine ;)
Ye, I am also concerned it can't in a Clevo. Hope your suggestion of going Throttlestop solves his problems.

(Unless 2021 Clevo's have been plagued by the Plundervolt BIOS enforcements by Intel microcode update, hope not).
Sorry you misunderstand me. I mean what reputable source have you read which states Clevos cant be undervolted?