Laptop fine, case falling apart

Milkybarkid

Bronze Level Poster
My laptop is 6 years old and in the last few week the lid hinge has gone (can still use) but last night the start button seemed to break apart and needs a small screwdriver to get running. PCS do not have replacement parts because of age. So I need new at the wrong time, I was aiming for next year.

Prices have obviously gone up somewhat but my budget is only £500. I had fancied backlit keyboard but it would add to the cost. Are these worth it or are just a bit of trivia that you don't need. I touch type and since I'm retired and have all day to play I don't normally use in the evenings.

Also I had wanted an SSD drive but that will have to be knocked out. Are these Firecuda drives any good?

At the moment it is either the 14 Ultranote or the 15.6 Ultranote (I currently use 15.6). There is a cheaper Genesis but looks a bit under powered for me and I would probably not go another 5 or 6 years.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Or even an off-the-shelf laptop. You can get perfectly decent office-use type ones for ~£500, especially with a sale on.

Milkybarkid

Bronze Level Poster
I've had off the shelf before, no decent service with problems, once they are sold they don't want to know. Got a small Surface, fine for internet browsing, reading and checking mail but not for serious use, I like a decent body under my fingers. I'd sooner buy a second hand PCS laptop to tide me over.