Laptop for general use + a little gaming, suggestions

Rapptor

Im looking to get a laptop for normal use such as playing eve online and a few rts's like starcraft oh and ofc football manager along with a few other games, nothing like crisis or any other high demanding game. Ill be getting a pure gaming pc next months payday but I wany a laotop for on the side gaming wen im at aunts or girlfriends. I watch alot of movies and was wondering what the speakers were like on the enigma 3. I have a budget of around 700. Ikl be using finance and ill be paying it off within 2 month. Thanks guys.

Ive been thinking of getting this spec or do u guys think I should fork out for an optimus?

*Chassis & Display*
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
*Processor (CPU)*
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
*Memory (RAM)*
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
*Graphics Card*
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
*Memory - Hard Disk*
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
*DVD/BLU-RAY Drive*
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
*Memory Card Reader*
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
*Sound Card*
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
*Bluetooth & Wireless*
ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0
*USB Options*
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
*Battery*
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
*Power Lead & Adaptor*
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
*Operating System*
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
*Office Software*
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
*Anti-Virus*
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
*Notebook Mouse*
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
*Webcam*
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
*Warranty*
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
*Insurance*
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
*Delivery*
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
*Build Time*
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
*Quantity*

*Price: £553.00 including VAT and delivery.*

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

Nice spec, well balanced. Consider upgrading the screen to a full HD version, it will be better for playing movies/videos, etc. Other than that it looks good to go.

Rapptor

Only reason I chose the matte was because people have said the glossy screen is very shiny in high light. Are u low on stock of any of the components listed in my build? also whats the normal wait time for standard build time and delivery? Its a shame u cant fit.the gtx 460 in the enigma

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
If your using it out doors or have a window behind you and reflections are an issue then yeah matte would be best, other than that its not particularly a better screen, colors are said to be brought out better by gloss screen blacks also show better, but white is displayed better with matte. Worth considering, as you maybe able to use that extra money to upgrade other parts of your system. Seems like a good spec and will definitely play the games you mention.

Rapptor

Thanks for the feedback guys. 2 days that quick also I will upgrade to a glossy screen. Do you guys think its worth upgading to 1600mhz ram?

Rapptor

I think im gonna fork out the little extra for the.17 inch optimus for the better gpu and.the faxt it has optimus tech.as I know the enigma doesnt. Does anyone know how good the upgraded battery is to the normal one? Alao anyone know what kind of credit score u need for finance. I dont owe anyone any money and im totally green with.my bank according.to my credit report.but I have a few laye payments for.my contract with orange. My typing is horrrible as im on my phone

Last edited:

Rapptor

Right finally ordered my laptop. Looking to play eve online and football manager with this spec. What do you guys think also a quetion to pcs staff, is there any problem with th products i have choses as in are you waiting for any stock?

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £722.00 including VAT and delivery.

jubberz

Did your Optimus arrive yet? I've just ordered mine on Friday already going crazy waiting for it to arrive lol!

Rapptor

It was meant to get delivered today as it was dispatched yesterday morning but turns out i wont get it till monday now.... gutted.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
It was meant to get delivered today as it was dispatched yesterday morning but turns out i wont get it till monday now.... gutted.

Its the weekend so try have some fun :D and the time will fly, I just ordered mine so it wont be coming any time soon.

Thanks for the thread btw it helped alot

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
try mahjongg on your computer if you have it (should be under games folder) its pretty addictive once you get good at it, ive got the linux version and it keeps distracting my revision

AdamC

Hey, nice thread. I'm looking to get a laptop very similar to your setup, just wondering how you are getting on with it?

Be interesting to know things like bootup times and how you like the keyboard and what the heat output and battery life are like; you know just the little things that someone who has one would know.

Thanks