laptop for linux install

paul_k

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2450M (2.50GHz) 3MB - poss i3
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB) - poss 4
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 90MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Thinking of this for installing linux on - needs to be able to play movies, do a bit of coding on, and browse the web. Do I need this much power, or could I get away with 4GB RAM and a lower spec processor? I'm not looking at games.
thanks, P

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
You can't upgrade a laptop's processor at a later date so I would stick with what you've got. I'm not sure how well your preferred distribution of linux would work though.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

The specification you have put together is good but you could probably get away with 4GB of RAM if you wanted to save a little on the cost.

Also just to confirm - all our laptops can upgrade the processor and/or memory at a later date. It's only the GPU that cannot be upgraded.

If you're not into games, why have a GT540? You should be able for your purposes to have no GPU or a lower spec one.
I've got a Voyager (including GT520) and Linux (Ubuntu 11.10) installed without a problem. I don't know around other Linux based OS-s. It play HD videos just fine, but I do have a i7 core, but an i5 should suffice anyway. You may want to upgrade the screen to a full HD screen. If you're into video editing 8Gb RAM (or higher) would be advised, otherwise 4Gb will be fine.

The spec looks good, I almost went for this one, but preferred a bigger screen in the end.

sg86

If you're not into games, why have a GT540? You should be able for your purposes to have no GPU or a lower spec one.
I've got a Voyager (including GT520) and Linux (Ubuntu 11.10) installed without a problem. I don't know around other Linux based OS-s. It play HD videos just fine, but I do have a i7 core, but an i5 should suffice anyway. You may want to upgrade the screen to a full HD screen. If you're into video editing 8Gb RAM (or higher) would be advised, otherwise 4Gb will be fine.

The spec looks good, I almost went for this one, but preferred a bigger screen in the end.

Agree with the GPU comment, but the problem is PCS doesnt offer many chassis with the lower end GPUs and decent screens..

As for linux, i dont see why you would assume it would be any different that running windows, they have intel chipsets and intel processors, what are you thinking may go wrong? I have an old clevo laptop (like 5 years old) with ubuntu 11.10 on it and its fine. I guess it depends on your knowledge if you come across any driver issues etc, but a brand new PC you shouldnt be worried about.

mum3three, can you PM me those pics :) and i am getting the voyager if i like the look, just waiting for some stock to come in with the newer 630m GPU

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
As for linux, i dont see why you would assume it would be any different that running windows, they have intel chipsets and intel processors, what are you thinking may go wrong? I have an old clevo laptop (like 5 years old) with ubuntu 11.10 on it and its fine. I guess it depends on your knowledge if you come across any driver issues etc, but a brand new PC you shouldnt be worried about.
I just remember reading a couple of threads about wireless cards not working with a certain distribtion of linux and driver problems.

sg86

I just remember reading a couple of threads about wireless cards not working with a certain distribtion of linux and driver problems.

Well, its possible, but if you are a linux user then you shouldnt have an issue with building the driver yourself from source. And if the source isnt available from the manufacturer i would be shocked.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i had a problem when 11.10 Ubuntu was first released with my wireless driver, it may have been fixed now but 11.04 worked fine