Laptop for Photoshop + a bit of video

LolKitteh

Hi there,

I hope I’m not repeating someone else’s spec and being a pain not reading the whole forum, if yes let me know and I’ll make sure I search since I know it’s somewhere.

Chassis & Display
Initia Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 8-Core Processor 4700U (2.0GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ Graphics (CPU Dependant)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

Usual tasks

80% of the time (but prob least denanding spec wise)
Run linux, would love to use virtual machines (windows or some phone emulation for Android/iOS development) when I need to run one specific program that would normally require me to restart to get on Windows, natural language computation (data crunching)

I use a lot of browsers/apps (including some language learning overlay on netflix that’s unusable on my 8Gb RAM/AMD E2-9000 laptop that I inherited), discord to do various jobs during the days, so I quite like having a lot of ram (it’s my perception that it’s more important than the latest CPU for my needs) but I don’t care about the latest thing. Normally I have to close most of my other apps to use the Netflix addon and it just about works. I would love to be able to have youtube/Netflix in the background playing when I work.

To be honest on this side I think whatever recent spec I get would work, but this is just in case it influences a 50/50 decision, seeing it's the main thing I do.

20% of the time, to restart a few months (Covid downtime)
Windows 10 (PRO?) for Adobe Premiere and photography with Adobe Photoshop (~25Mb picture size).
I'm thinking of Windows Pro cause I sometimes need techie things done and in the past version I felt I had limited options if ever using Home versions. So not related to my current creative work, which I assume it wouldn't influence?

Full colour gamut needed in priority, 4K work maybe later, general video will prob be enough most of the time. No real need to concern ourselves with storage, I never have enough so if I start doing a lot of that I’ll get an additional ssd in the second slot

Happy to upgrade in a year for more ram, but I’d rather go for using 1 slot if there are two, and buying the same one next year. Not sure if that’s done because you need to get the same exact spec/brand and you should always buy them together? Is that still a valid way to do things?

I need to travel sometimes so it’s at those times I need a laptop that can manage. Doesn’t have to be the quickest, but just be doable.

Chassis:

I need a matt screen, main priority over everything because I spend my life in front of a screen, backlit keyboard, sd card reader. 15” is enough, I need the beast to still be portable.

Great to have: option to add a second drive.

Not bothered about having the slimmest chassis.

I’m ill and I tend to use my laptop in bed, holding it on my lap while lying down, so any chassis that only has air circulation at the bottom is more trouble to use, if there are available considerations here.

First drive: 500 ssd, or I might reuse one I have if I can get Windows 10 Pro without getting a hard drive? Is that an option, I forgot to check.

Also, I have a more recent basic laptop which screen was broken and became unusable within a week, I’ll research, but do you think I’d be able to use that drive with Windows in a new laptop by registering and declaring a hardware change? It’s just Win10 Home but I’d do with it for now if I was able to use the drive. Bit of a shame to not use that licence if it actually turned out to be possible.

I could do with spending less than GBP1000 with the option of adding ram next year. Maybe changing CPU too, but by the time I get round to it I might not have the option for my motherboard.

I’m very happy with non-Intel/mainstream things unless it is confirmed to not be supported by Linux yet. No problem if it just needs kernel recompiling.

Last edited: