Laptop for the Ages - 17.3'' Recoil IV

RicDin

I went for a real beast here hoping that it proves worthy of tackling VR in the long run. I hope this is not a mistake. Here is my build:

Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10850K (3.6GHz) 20MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
2 x 280W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
2 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Detachable 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (97WH)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Atlas & Super X-Fi
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 + 1 x USB 3.2 (TYPE C) + 3 x USB 3.2

Any idea on how much I'll be able to squeeze out of this GPU/CPU combination?

RicDin

At first, I just checked the performance tab on the task manager whenever I ran into issues and found that closing the browser and other parallel tasks helped. Then I tried to upgrade my screening with MSIAB, particularly when running Anaconda environments.

Are there better ways to do this?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
At first, I just checked the performance tab on the task manager whenever I ran into issues and found that closing the browser and other parallel tasks helped. Then I tried to upgrade my screening with MSIAB, particularly when running Anaconda environments.

Are there better ways to do this?
Yes there are. :)

Open Task Manager, click the Performance tab and then click the Memory icon on the left. You'll see some numbers there that show how much RAM is In Use and how much is Available. Available RAM is RAM that is absolutely free for use by anything - it includes Free RAM (that's RAM that is not being used at all) and Standby RAM (that's RAM that contains pages that are not being used by any process at the moment - they're left in RAM just in case a process wants any of the data/code in those pages later). Hovering over the bar graph above will show you the In Use, Standby and Free RAM areas.

If you're seeing some Available RAM then you absolutely don't need to install any more.

If you see a small amount of Available RAM and you suspect that RAM exhaustion is slowing you down then open the Windows Resource Monitor (enter 'resmon' in the Run command box). Click on the Overview tab and look down for the Memory header row. There is a global value shown on there called Hard Faults/sec, this is the rate at which pages of RAM that were earlier stolen and paged out to disk are now being paged back in. If you see a consistent Hard Faults/sec value that is over about 10 and lasts for a long time (30 seconds or more) then you are short of RAM. In that case stopping running applications will help, but if you need to support that workload then you need a RAM upgrade.

This post contains a quite detailed description of how Windows manages RAM and why a consistent hard faults/sec rate is the only true indicator of a shortage of RAM.

RicDin

I am impressed by both the readiness to help as well as the very insightful thread you have linked to. A great read to jumpstart the work day.

Thank you very much! I'll give it a proper try later today or tomorrow.

Say I requested a change to my order they'd refund the difference?