Laptop interfering with TV signal

scotho

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

Ever since I got my laptop when I am using it in the same room as my TV, the TV begins to glitch out.

From what I've read it could be the laptop emitting electrical current, and this is affecting the signal, but I am unsure.

We have a wire going from the TV into our loft where our aerial is mounted. We cannot wall mount it outside due to the lovely Scottish weather (heavy winds etc,etc) we have which would affect the signal.

I have noticed it glitches sometimes when I plug my power supply in too, however even when the charger is not in use the TV can still glitch. There's certain angles I can have it facing which don't affect the TV but these tend to be awkward and I would like to get this problem sorted if possible!

Thanks,
Scotho

Note:
Here are my specs if they are any help in locating the problem:
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670MX - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE HYBRID SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Standard Edition 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now that's a first, for me at least! The first thing I'd suggest you try is to turn the wifi and Bluetooth devices off. Those are the radio signal emitters and they would be my first guess at what might be causing the interference.

If you don't have a button or Fn-key combination to turn them off go into Device Manager and temporarily disable the wifi and Bluetooth devices.

I understand of course that you need both the wifi and Bluetooth radios but at least they will give you a clue to the cause.

I rather suspect the solution is on your TV rather than the laptop though. I suggest you check carefully that the coaxial aerial cable is properly attached in the plug that goes into the TV and also properly attached at the aerial in your loft. It's not unusual to find the screen part of the cable corroded or broken - especially in that damp Scottish weather. :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I've seen this happen before with other devices such as microwaves, subwoofers etc, your laptop must be close to the cables running to the television is it? Does it do this when its connected to the power brick or is it the laptop its self? I would think that its the power brick that is affecting it. Try running the laptop on battery and see if the signal is still being interfered with or not.

The solution i have found is to use higher grade quality of cable on the television itself i.e. replacing the HDMI cable to higher quality with better shielding, and using SKY grade coax cable for your antenna instead of the standard coax etc.

Hope this helps