Laptop is very slow

Dodoexe14

Bronze Level Poster
Hey, came home today turned on my laptop and everything is so slow, laggy, freezy, even if i dont run anything just chrome and discord, even websites take forever to load and if I want to open a folder up or something it takes so long, any idea why it could be? I haven't downloaded anything since it started being this bad. I also tried to start a game (lost ark) which i was runing without any problems before and I'm getting error saying Couldn't start the game, Tried restarting it, any idea what it could be and what I could try first before completely reseting it? I'm gonna put specs below
n8oH.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Could you take a screenshot of your windows update page and the advanced options / optional downloads part?

Are you playing on battery or plugged in?

Do you have it on office mode or gaming mode?

What available space do you have on the SSD?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, ignore that update for now, we'll come back to that.

Am I right in thinking you have the MUX switch set to NVidia GPU only?

We'll try a few things first:

1/. Could you open up cmd prompt as administrator and type "sfc /scannow", this will repair the windows databases in the backend, may or may not improve things.

2/. Then could you install HWMonitor and verify temps for the GPU and CPU are the same as what we're seeing in control center just to be certain.

3/. It may be worth running an SSD benchmark to be sure the throughput is as we'd expect and the SSD isn't faulty:

(Use the Standard Edition) https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Last edited:

Dodoexe14

Bronze Level Poster
Yes I have it set to nvidia gpu only, and while doing these steps and scanning I got blue screen twice, I guess because of the scan, should I try it again?. Also turned off discord and it looks like it improved things slightly but it's still very slow.
The temperatures seems to be right, same with the control centre.
Not sure what to do with SSD program ( just clicked on all its working now, will post another pic when its done)
1646775386510.png
1646775060061.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes I have it set to nvidia gpu only, and while doing these steps and scanning I got blue screen twice, I guess because of the scan, should I try it again?. Also turned off discord and it looks like it improved things slightly but it's still very slow.
The temperatures seems to be right, same with the control centre.
Not sure what to do with SSD program ( just clicked on all its working now, will post another pic when its done) View attachment 32667 View attachment 32666
So when you ran the SFC Scan it BSOD?

Those drive speeds look acceptable, we can leave that out.

You missed the CPU temps?

What antivirus are you running?

Could you have it just in windows ie close discord and everything else you can, then run SFC /Scannow, we really need that to complete. If it fails again, then I think we've found a definitely problem area.

barlew

Godlike
On top of what @SpyderTracks has already asked can you also open up Task Manager and take a screen shot of the processes page. Make sure you sort it by Total Processor Utilisation, highest to lowest. Then post the image here.

Dodoexe14

Bronze Level Poster
So when you ran the SFC Scan it BSOD?

Those drive speeds look acceptable, we can leave that out.

You missed the CPU temps?

What antivirus are you running?

Could you have it just in windows ie close discord and everything else you can, then run SFC /Scannow, we really need that to complete. If it fails again, then I think we've found a definitely problem area.
I checked cpu temps they were the same aswell, yes first 2 times when I ran scan I got the blue screen with sad face where it said your pc run into problem or something like that. Antivirus just windows security that came with the laptop. this is after I ran the scan
1646777473367.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I checked cpu temps they were the same aswell, yes first 2 times when I ran scan I got the blue screen with sad face where it said your pc run into problem or something like that. Antivirus just windows security that came with the laptop. this is after I ran the scan View attachment 32669
That's good that SFC completed.

I can't see anything unusual in your processes in that shot, all looks normal.

Hopefully the SFC has corrected something.

The only other thing I can think is open up event viewer and check the windows logs for any errors at around the time you shut down before you used it today, then check again for when you powered on today.

Dodoexe14

Bronze Level Poster
This is only error from yesterday but it was like 6 hours before i actually shut down the laptop and the other 2 are from today 3-4 minutes after i started laptop
1646778224318.png

1646778151583.png

1646778166201.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hold on I think it's running fine now, let me try few things, can switch between chrome tabs smoothly, discord works fine aswell
Yeah, it may well be that the SFC /Scannow repaired the issue.

It's a really good tool that not many people know about, repairs the windows databases on which windows runs, when you get major performance issues like that, it can often be a corruption in the databases.

Dodoexe14

Bronze Level Poster
My game still runs only on 18-20 fps, any idea why? Settings in game are definitely not the problem. Chrome and discord seems to work good now

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My game still runs only on 18-20 fps, any idea why? Settings in game are definitely not the problem. Chrome and discord seems to work good now
May be worth cleaning the display driver with DDU and then reinstalling the latest version from nvidia