Laptop not booting turns self off after 30 seconds.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys. So my daughter's decided they would turn on my laptop and as it was booting they managed to get into the bios and while in the bios they were bashing the keyboard and by the time I got to it the laptop was "updating a new image" after it had finished updating it turned itself off and now when I turn it on it powers up your hear the fans but doesn't load the bios or Windows, after about 30 secs it switches itself off again.

I have tried removing the battery and holding the power button in for 60 seconds and nothing. I have also tried taking the Cmos battery out for 5 mins. Nothing has worked and I can't seem to get into the bios.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as I use the laptop daily.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys. So my daughter's decided they would turn on my laptop and as it was booting they managed to get into the bios and while in the bios they were bashing the keyboard and by the time I got to it the laptop was "updating a new image" after it had finished updating it turned itself off and now when I turn it on it powers up your hear the fans but doesn't load the bios or Windows, after about 30 secs it switches itself off again.

I have tried removing the battery and holding the power button in for 60 seconds and nothing. I have also tried taking the Cmos battery out for 5 mins. Nothing has worked and I can't seem to get into the bios.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as I use the laptop daily.

Could it be a partition on the HDD that has been messed with?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The phrase '...bashing the keyboard...' is a worry. Do you get any beeps from the laptop as it boots? They come from the POST process and might help figure out where to start looking.

It may be that a key is stuck down on the keyboard, that could cause the situation you describe. Trying to find a stuck key is tricky though, getting the keyboard out might help you see better.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
I don't think a key is stuck down at least nothing visibly stuck. There are no beeps at all.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't think a key is stuck down at least nothing visibly stuck. There are no beeps at all.

If it was a disk issue I'd expect you to be able to enter the BIOS setup and I'd expect it to fail on booting Windows rather than shutdown after 30 seconds.

The 'bashing the keyboard' is still the clue I think. Try opening it up and check that everything is properly seated (RAM, HDD, etc.). Check that all connectors are still fully home etc.