Laptop Ordered

Emalkave

So, I have finally ordered a laptop with my aging desktop. I was planning to buy a desktop gaming computer but then decided to buy a laptop instead in which it will provide me with mobility and allows me to game on the go. Now the desktop that I currently have is a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz with 1GB RAM and a GT120 GPU. To this day, it still works perfectly fine due to the care and attention and constant cleaning every 5 months or so.

But I have decided that I need a laptop that can play the latest games as well as keep up with my work. I was planning to buy a MacBook Pro with Retina display (them resolutions man) but the price is too much :D
Here's the specs
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
320GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD3200BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus/Voyager Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (48.84WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
MICROSOFT WIRELESS MOBILE MOUSE 4000 (£15)
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-10AM (£16)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Price: £977.00 including VAT and delivery.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Nice build,I would make the scorpio black your first hard drive,the OS will be installed on the first hard drive and the scorpio black is faster.

Ken812

when i tried to put two hard drives and a disc drive into the vortex 15.6 chassis it cant be done due to size. Is it possible with the optimus chassis?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
when i tried to put two hard drives and a disc drive into the vortex 15.6 chassis it cant be done due to size. Is it possible with the optimus chassis?
Last time I checked, there were three laptops with that option.

15.6" Optimus III
17.3" SkyFire II
The 17.3" Vortex III

Last edited:

Emalkave

Alright, I have made the changes. I've put the WD Black as my first HDD and partitioned it to 100GB and 220GB respectively. The Terabyte HDD will remain as it is. Is it better to partition it as well? I'm planning to just store music, photos and films on it. Will that affect the performance as a whole?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Alright, I have made the changes. I've put the WD Black as my first HDD and partitioned it to 100GB and 220GB respectively. The Terabyte HDD will remain as it is. Is it better to partition it as well? I'm planning to just store music, photos and films on it. Will that affect the performance as a whole?
I wouldn't bother partitioning any hard drive,really very little advantage if any,in doing so these days.

Emalkave

Yeah, it's only for older HDD that needs to be partitioned. I won't be doing any backing up on the data anyway as I have Dropbox to automatically save important files on it.