Laptop power problem

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Hey guys. This is about a laptop not brought from this site, but I thought I'd ask for some advice here anyway as your all friendly, and might have some ideas.

Basically, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60, was on it while plugged in as normal. Then I heard a 'pop' sound, and the mains power notification went.

So the laptop was still on, on battery power, but when the power adaptor is plugged in, it wasn't charging.

I replaced the fuse in the plug, and my dad checked the cable with this weird screwdriver (It has a little led inside it, so if placed on something with power, the led lights up).The led did light, so apparently there's power going through the cable as normal, but when its plugged into the laptop, no power is getting through.

So, I'm guessing its the power intake bit on the laptop that broke. Or could it be the battery?

I was googling, and found something about a 'battery fuse' that might have gone, but it was very vague.

Anyone got any ideas about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
well im a electrician but what you say seems very vague to me. your dad checking the cable could just mean he checked the cable from the wall. not the actual cable that plugs into your laptop. It could be that the actual power brick has gone witch holds the transformer, it converts the 240V down to around 18V to charge your battery, they sometimes have internal fuses witch there isnt much you can do with unless you understand what you are doing.