Laptop processors - please help!

Taken

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon but I'm having trouble deciding which processor to go for. I have three in mind and worked out the prices for them, could anyone give me an idea as to which is the best value for money?

Intel Core i5-2430M (dual core, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache) = £68

Intel Core i7-2670QM (quad core, 2.2GHz, 6MB cache) = £143

Intel Core i7-2640M (dual core, 2.8GHz, 4MB cache) = £161

My problem is I don't know how important the number of cores/clock speed/cache size are when considering a processor. For example, I would have assumed the 2670QM was the best as it has four cores and a larger cache, but it has the lowest clock speed which I thought would be the most important feature.

If anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

(This is for the Optimus II if it makes any difference)

Corfate

Author Level
I believe the clock speed is over each core, so each core on the quad core would have 2.2GHz, so 8.8GHz overall, compared to the others (around 5Ghz) Eitherway if thats wrong or not, the Quadcore is much much faster than the duel cores ;) What will you be using it for?

AshleyUK

Bronze Level Poster
What will be the main use for this laptop, the best one in a general look is defintly "Intel Core i7-2670QM" as it will have the power for pretty much what ever you throw at it, only benfit to the other's with higher clock speed's but lower core count would be if you was using certain software that was Single Threaded, however most new software and games will benfit and run alot smother on the I7 Quad Core.

Taken

Thanks for the replies. I'd mainly be using it for gaming, but I mainly play StarCraft II which isn't too intensive I don't think. I'd like to be able to play it and Skype/listen to music/have a browser open at the same time without it slowing down or affecting gameplay. I might buy more intensive games in the future though so I'd like to get a good processor that could handle most things I throw at it.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I would always recommend the i7 quad core 2.2ghz. It is very powerful and not too expensive compared to the others.