Laptop RMA My experience

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys,

My laptop broke and the bad thing is thing is it wasn't storming the beautifal lands of guild wars 2, it wasn't schooling noobs in call of duty or opening vaults in boarderlands 2 or conquering the world in Civilisation, it was PSY and that Gangnam style video, i've watched it too many times and thats karma lol.

Tried to diagnose it myself, the screen went white after the dance started and had gray lines through it and the sound stuck, i then uninstalled the W8 GPU drivers and it worked but put back on the original PCS drivers and still the same problem. Thought it may be windows 8 problem so rolled back to a fresh W7 install which worked fine untill the GPU driver is installed so i think the problem is with the GPU.

I called PCS technical support and they were extremely helpful and agreed with my conclusion. Which is a change becuase from my recolection every other company i've ever delt with give you that tone, if you know what i mean, that for some reason your upto something.

I forgot to puchase the 1 year return and collect so had to pay the £35 RMA but thats my bad.

Thanks PCS, still a happy customer thus far =D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Wow yours look pretty serious too.

Mine was supposed to go today, got a text saying between 9 and 5:30 and they came at 8 =O

So i wan't at work by then and said they would pick it up tomorrow.

Wish every delivery driver was that keen lol

omens

Gold Level Poster
How did you package yours? I still have some of the original boxes but can't remember how the laptop was packed. At the moment, I've wrapped in a plastic wrapper, placed on the two polystyrene pieces either side. I then put it in the box with a handle and added inthe accessory pack box. Just wondering how to secure it so no one opens it.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah I did what you have done. At work I have those plastic air pockets so I packed the laptop box the. I placed all that in another box with more air pockets just in case. I've only sent the laptop and the charger.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Still waiting for mine to be collected, they didn't come back yesterday but called them today and they said that it would be picked up between 9 and 5:30 so woop, payed £35 buck to get it collected.

I think they just send it back to you with a covering letter stating what they did. I called them and asked whether they wanted it with Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it and they said it didn't matter. I thought it would for testing purposes myself.

Let me know how you get on though I think you'll get yours back before mine now.

Adli

Enthusiast
that does indeed sound like a GPU issue.

my dads old Dell was getting a whole ton of grey lines on his screen (the entire screen turned grey), then his GPU died and he had to get a new laptop.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Update:

So that's my machine picked up on Thursday and sent back to PCS, got an email Saturday at about 5 saying that it had arrived, then got an email at 3AM, i assume its automated, apologizing for the 3 days they have it, although they don't have to apologize as long as it come back super again =D. Then goes onto say that they will try to recreate the problem and contact me through Text or Email with details on her return. WOOP

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Just got an email from PCS saying that my GPU is being sent back for repair and should take about 12 working days which is acceptable, i honestly was expecting about a month turn around so that's fine

Send an email back saying that was fine and appreciated the update.

Corfate

Author Level
Turned my lappy on this morning and theres a line along the toolbar. It's not major, but not as it should be so i called up PCS and got sent a program to try and sort it out. It's been running for about an hour so far and the lines still there. (See pic below)

Think i need to send it back for a new screen :(

IMG_2127.JPG

Runs all along the toolbar :(

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Turned my lappy on this morning and theres a line along the toolbar. It's not major, but not as it should be so i called up PCS and got sent a program to try and sort it out. It's been running for about an hour so far and the lines still there. (See pic below)

Think i need to send it back for a new screen :(

IMG_2127.JPG

Runs all along the toolbar :(

mmm should I be taking out 2 year warranty, or to be honest is it not true that you can claim for defects years after purchase if you can prove a fault id inherent or something.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's going to get fixed soon! I'm just worried that I'll be left without my (future) laptop once again after I'm done waiting for the rest of the stages to finish. Went into pre-production on the 2nd working day, and am on my 5th working day now. I'm sure the wait is going to be worth it though, I really miss PC gaming after living away from home for 2 months now! I think the silver warranty will be just fine, I think if no faults occur during the first few months you're good.

Corfate

Author Level
mmm should I be taking out 2 year warranty, or to be honest is it not true that you can claim for defects years after purchase if you can prove a fault id inherent or something.

Technology goes wrong, and if you're one of the unlucky few that have problems with it, they usually happen within the first few months of getting a new product. If it makes you feel safer, you could get the extra warranty if you can afford it. I got the Silver warranty. My laptop is still in the 'grace period' of 7 days, so thats kinda like extra coverage too. I have every faith that PCS will sort it out for me though :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Just got an email saying that my GPU had been replaced and that it would be returned to me by DPD collection today thats a good week earlier than i though it would be, great that they got it done so quickly.

Cant wait to test it out again, just need to re install everything and get going i guess.

I'll be in touch.