Laptop running/performing slowly!!

C3NUFC

Hi guys,

Just looking for some help/advice, as I'm not very tech when it comes to pcs/laptops.

I've only had this laptop for around 6 months or so but everything is just SO SLOW and it just feels like at this point its barely usable.

Specs below:

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 10300H (2.5GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)12GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB 1 x 4GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)

Not sure if anything else is needed with regards to knowing the spec of the laptop.

Any advice would be great and very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!!

Celine

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys,

Just looking for some help/advice, as I'm not very tech when it comes to pcs/laptops.

I've only had this laptop for around 6 months or so but everything is just SO SLOW and it just feels like at this point its barely usable.

Specs below:

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 10300H (2.5GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

Not sure if anything else is needed with regards to knowing the spec of the laptop.

Any advice would be great and very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!!

Celine
Can you post the FULL specs, we need to see all the options chosen?

C3NUFC

Can you post the FULL specs, we need to see all the options chosen?

Everything copied and pasted below pal, hope that's better

BatteryOptimus Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + THX Spatial Audio
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguageOPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Detailed Specification
Dimensions & Weight
Dimensions (w x d x h)395.7mm x 260.8mm x 30.05mm
Weight2.5KG
ColourBlack
Chipset
Processor SupportIntel® Core™ or AMD® Ryzen™ CPUs
Memory
Memory TypeSupports DDR4 2666MHz
Number of Modules2 x Modules
Maximum Supported Memory64GB
Hard Drive Capacity
Hard Drive Type1 x 7mm, 2.5" S-ATA HDD support (With Intel processors only)
M.2 Port2 x M.2 2280 SSD Ports, 1 x WLAN M.2 2230
Display & Graphics
GraphicsChoice of graphics cards - refer to configurator.
Screen Size17.3 inch Widescreen
Native/Maximum Resolution1920 x 1080
Refresh RatePlease refer to configurator.
NTSCPlease refer to configurator.
Audio
Channels2 channel HD Audio
ConnectionsMicrophone-in and headphone-out
Speakers2 x 2W Stereo Speakers
Integrated MicrophoneYes
Communications
Wireless SupportWireless LAN 802.11ax/ac/b/g/n (M.2 Interface)
Bluetooth SupportBluetooth V5.0 module support
Keyboard & Mouse
KeysRGB backlit isolated keyboard
Language SupportMulti-Language support
Pointing Device | Touchpad MouseTouchpad Pointing Device with left/right click
Backlit KeyboardYes
Memory Card Reader
Memory Card Reader3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
Ports
LAN1 x RJ-45 jack
USB1 x USB 3.1 Port (Type C), 2 x USB 3.1 Port, 1 x USB 2.0 Ports
Display1 x HDMI Port, 2 x Mini Display Port
Microphone-IN1
Headphone-OUT1
DC-in1
Webcam
Webcam1.0 MP Webcam
Battery & Power Lead
Battery Capacity3 Cell Lithium-Ion, 46.74WH
Typical Battery LifeUp to 4 Hours
Battery TypeIntegrated
Power Lead & AC Adpater1 x Power Lead included with AC Adapter
Security
Kensington LockYes

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, so firstly, you need to uninstall bullguard, then we'll do some windows maintenance and then some benchmarking and thermal tests to make sure it's where it needs to be.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately you've only got a very slow drive which is going to be a pretty poor experience by modern standards. I reckon that may be the issue straight there, it's gonna be really slow.

C3NUFC

Unfortunately you've only got a very slow drive which is going to be a pretty poor experience by modern standards. I reckon that may be the issue straight there, it's gonna be really slo

By drive do you mean Hard drive type? That's so annoying as the laptop was already so expensive.

What drive would you recommend which could support this better? and could I buy the part separately to have it built in?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

By drive do you mean Hard drive type? That's so annoying as the laptop was already so expensive.

What drive would you recommend which could support this better? and could I buy the part separately to have it built in?
You can order an M2 drive on the PCS main site, just go to the upgrades section. A basic PCS M2 drive for windows and programs at around 500Gb is what you need as a primary drive.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Unfortunately you've only got a very slow drive which is going to be a pretty poor experience by modern standards. I reckon that may be the issue straight there, it's gonna be really slow.
Agreed. That HDD is almost certainly the issue. Cleaning it up will help, possibly a lot, but it's a slow and large capacity HDD and that's going to be the bottleneck.

An M.2 SSD is your very best option, but if you have to stick with the HDD let us know and we'll help you clean it up.

BTW. Don't scrap the HDD, it will be a useful data drive, your M.2 SSD just needs to be big enough for Windows and programs.

C3NUFC

Agreed. That HDD is almost certainly the issue. Cleaning it up will help, possibly a lot, but it's a slow and large capacity HDD and that's going to be the bottleneck.

An M.2 SSD is your very best option, but if you have to stick with the HDD let us know and we'll help you clean it up.

BTW. Don't scrap the HDD, it will be a useful data drive, your M.2 SSD just needs to be big enough for Windows and programs.
You can order an M2 drive on the PCS main site, just go to the upgrades section. A basic PCS M2 drive for windows and programs at around 500Gb is what you need as a primary drive.
So, I'm looking to basically add the "1st M.2 SSD Drive" from the upgrade section?

There are a few choices to pick from in regards to 500gb drive. Would the "512gb PCS PCle M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)" be suitable?

I don't mind spending a little extra on the laptop as long as it improves and I can actually use it but as you said the clean up may help improve, can I be shown to do that also? As my brother also has an identical laptop to me, obviously with the same issues.

Thank you guys for your help already!

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
PCS should really stop selling any form of PC or laptop without an SSD in. It should be mandatory. Or at least some sort of big red warning sign when you try and order warning you that you're ordering something without an SSD in and 'are you sure you want to do this as it will perform appallingly'?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
PCS should really stop selling any form of PC or laptop without an SSD in. It should be mandatory. Or at least some sort of big red warning sign when you try and order warning you that you're ordering something without an SSD in and 'are you sure you want to do this as it will perform appallingly'?
That's a bit draconian don't you think? People should be free to do whatever they want and order whatever they like. I certainly agree that inexperienced people should ask for advice on here, and on here of course you're free to say that, but PCS not allowing me to buy a PC without an SSD is a flat out no-no for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's a bit draconian don't you think? People should be free to do whatever they want and order whatever they like. I certainly agree that inexperienced people should ask for advice on here, and on here of course you're free to say that, but PCS not allowing me to buy a PC without an SSD is a flat out no-no for me.
It’s also that there are plenty of use cases where you wouldn’t want an SSD such as NAS drives, file servers, media servers amongst many other use cases. The onus is on the customer to configure correctly.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I completely agree with what you've said @ubuysa , however the slight snag is, I'd bet there's a large percentage of PCS customers that don't know or use the forums until their's an issue with their rig.

I know I made bad choices before arriving here!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I completely agree with what you've said @ubuysa , however the slight snag is, I'd bet there's a large percentage of PCS customers that don't know or use the forums until their's an issue with their rig.

I know I made bad choices before arriving here!
This is in danger of becoming political I fear. ;)

On the one hand we have politics that sees its role as protecting people from themselves - such as mandating an SSD 'because its good for them'.

On the other hand we have politics that sees its role as enabling people to make their own decisions, such as choosing a 5400rpm HDD because it suits their budget.

C3NUFC

Yes that M2 drive selection will do you fine...I have a near-identical speed M2 drive in my desktop and it makes old style SATA HDDs look like they were from the Stone Ages (put it this way, the HDD in my Xbox drives me insane as it loads everything so much slower than my desktop...a particular game I play takes about 3 times as long to load on the Xbox)
Thats great. Thank you for your recommendation!