Laptop shut off with a 'pop', now won't turn on.

stecoy

Hi all,

I was using my Optimus laptop, and it powered off without warning (similar to if it had run out of battery), accompanied by a quiet 'pop' sound. It now refuses to power back on, whether the charger is plugged in or not. The charging light stays on when the battery or charger is connected, though. After this happened, I also noticed a faint 'burnt' smell from the back of the laptop, which leads me to suspect that it's not good news... Is there any likely cause of this? Or even better a solution?

Thanks
Stephen

Rakk

The Awesome
Popping sounds are never good, neither are burning smells, I suggest you unplug said laptop, and phone up PCS first thing tomorrow and see what they can do, I certainly would not try and turn it on again until you talk to PCS.

stecoy

I removed the battery and charger once I realised what was happening, so hopefully any damage is minimised. I'll call them tomorrow as you say. Thanks!

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
A fuse at the very least has gone. Don't worry, it may not be terminal, it may be something quite minor, but if you're not up for opening it up yourself then as above, it looks like it will need to go back to pcs. Is it still under warranty/will they pick it up?

stecoy

Hopefully it's just a fuse as you say. I'd not chance opening it myself, I'd not know where to begin. It's been 21 months or so since I bought it, so I'm not exactly sure of the state of the warranty, but I'll stay optimistic until I've heard back from PCS!

stecoy

Both the pop and the smell came from the laptop, the PSU seems fine, visually anyway. I've called PCS and after confirming it didn't work after resetting the CMOS, I'm RMA-ing it for them to investigate further. The guy on the phone said that the motherboard may still be in warranty - which I'm really hoping for as the last thing I need is to pay for a replacement...