Laptop Spec Opinion

Pokkai

I'm currently looking at acquring a new Laptop and I'm down to a choice of two.

A Proteus with PCS:

Chassis & DisplayProteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Thermal Paste: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card: Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio
Bluetooth & Wireless: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty
Dead Pixel Guarantee: 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee

£1,438.00

Or an ASUS ROG GL503VS: differential is an i7 7700H CPU, GTX 1070 GPU (16GB 2400Mhz RAM) with a 144hz G-Sync screen £1089.

Now the questions: there is a £350 price increase for the Proteus and it loses the G-Sync, but gains a better GPU/CPU/Slightly faster RAM. Does anyone have any input as to which is better bang for buck. This will be used across a spread of games FFXIV/COD/Overwatch/WoW and I want to make use of those sweet 144hz screens? Will G-Sync be missed?

How are the acoustics on the Proteus, does it sound like a hoover under load, how hot does it get?

Any input would be appreciated.

Paul

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
We can't advise on competitors' specs, so can't say "Buy the PCS one!" or "Buy the Asus one!" :)

I don't know what Storage the Asus one has but I doubt that it's a 1TB 970 Evo (Plus, or otherwise). So factor that in when comparing bang for buck i.e. the storage is much higher end in the PCS spec.

Actually, I think I just found the listing and unsurprisingly it's 256gb ssd and 1TB HDD. Also the PCS Spec has 16gb RAM and the Asus only has 8. A Proteus with 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD/1TB HDD would be around £1312, plus accessories.

As well as opinions here, you could also ask on other forums (e.g. an open forum like Tom's Hardware) where they can comment on the Asus too rather than just the Proteus as we can.