Laptop that can support 3x4x external monitors (not for gaming)

Lewstherin

I'm looking to buy a laptop which can support 3 external 4k monitors at once. I would only be using it for work (e.g. spreadsheets, browser windows), not for gaming. I'm unsure which laptops/graphics cards can support this. For example, when I click the relevant question mark on the configure screen for a particular laptop, it just says "N/A" for 'Max. Monitors' (see below). Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks!

max monitors.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm looking to buy a laptop which can support 3 external 4k monitors at once. I would only be using it for work (e.g. spreadsheets, browser windows), not for gaming. I'm unsure which laptops/graphics cards can support this. For example, when I click the relevant question mark on the configure screen for a particular laptop, it just says "N/A" for 'Max. Monitors' (see below). Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks!

View attachment 36931
These are gaming laptops, they’re not going to be suitable for your needs really.

u07jrb

You used to be able to buy laptops here that support 3 monitors. I have one from 8 years ago. Tee Vortex. It had one HDMI port and 2 displayports. I still use it as my work computer. Interestingly when I look back at the spec, it does not mention teh displayports. Maybe if you contact PCS directly they can help?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You used to be able to buy laptops here that support 3 monitors. I have one from 8 years ago. Tee Vortex. It had one HDMI port and 2 displayports. I still use it as my work computer. Interestingly when I look back at the spec, it does not mention teh displayports. Maybe if you contact PCS directly they can help?
The vortex was a gaming pc also, it's pointless for the users needs, you're paying about £600 - £1000 for a GPU you're never going to use.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Most will support multiple monitors through usb nowadays. My little rubbish dell laptop handles 3 monitors and its own screen using a display link hub. Something like that would work well with most systems I imagine.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
17.3" LAFITÉ® PRO supports 4 monitors.
View attachment 36937
It supports 4 monitors but at a max resolution of 7680 x 4320. You have to take into account the in built 1080p screen unless you disable it.

Even if you were to disable it though, you'd need 8192 x 4320 to fit 4 x 4k screens (4k being 4096 x 2160)

Plus, that max resolution is only available out of the Display Port, if you use the other ports, it further reduces capabilities.

The Lafite Pro also only has P series intel chips which are the low power options, so substantially weaker than a full fat laptop chip.

So if the OP is willing to set custom resolutions on each screen and do with a low power chip, then yes it's doable.

My advice would be to get an AMD laptop as AMD Radeon Integrated graphics are far far stronger than Intels, and AMD mobile CPU's are generally much more efficient and run at substantially lower temps, as such use a lot less battery power.

PCS will definitely be stocking some, but we have no idea on timelines. And they usually only have AMD gaming chassis, but hopefully with how good the phoenix 7040s are in the productivity segment, perhaps the custom chassis manufacturers will be more willing to adopt them

Problem is, they're in high demand and have lower volumes than Intel chassis and hence tend to sell out fast.

But they're soon to release the new generation of mobile cpu's based on 7000 series, with the 7045 series to be the top end in raw performance (likely only found in gaming chassis) while the 7040's are the productivity based solution, as well as having Radeon integrated graphics wniich are much more advanced than Intels offerings (roughly on par with a desktop GTX1060 card, about 70% more power than Intels iGPUs while using less power). They are the same max resolution limitations as the Intels though unfortunately.

7040 series processors have been delayed a little, my advice would be to look out for the cpu tier you require (7940H is the top tier)

Last edited: