Laptop that will last as long as possible...

IDSGI

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing a laptop for something around £1500, and I have found something I like however I had a few questions about how long a laptop like it would last and stay on top of things.
The laptop Im looking at is the 'PROTEUS IV', with 16gb ram. I am willing to spend a fair bit of money, however I really need whatever laptop I buy to last me a minimum of 7 years ( 10 would be nice )... for uni and stuff. I wanted to know...

1) How long the build I mentioned above would work well for ( including how long it would be able to handle the latest games on 60 fps on any setting.. low will be fine ). Will it manage my minimum of 7 years?

2) What is useful to possibly add to the laptop to keep it running for as long as possible.

3) Is there any way to upgrade things eg graphics card in the future if needed ( i assume no )

- Also when I mean I want it to last 7 years I just mean not die.. I dont care if I cant run games, but how long before the thing will just give up and die?

thanks,

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
For around £1500 or closer to £1600 I would suggest the defiance with the gtx 1070.
1) no idea, as newer games will have different requirements
2) cleaning fans and reposting your cpu and gpu but for gaming I would say 4 years is pushing it and 7 is a bit unrealistic
3) not the gpu but you can change ram, hdd

rav007

Enthusiast
7 years is a dream. Laptop hardware warranty is up to 3 years (repairs) and 2 years (parts). Motherboards usually have a 3 year manufacturers warranty, but that's not available to you, only to PCS who bought the parts. The insurance you pay on the laptop will cut off after 5 years or 60 months.

Based on this, asking for a laptop to last 3 years is reasonable. 4 to 5 years you enter the medium risk territory, it is likely if it stops working in that period, you probably won't see that laptop again because it was discontinued long before then, but you can still claim it on insurance before your insurance life ends. After 5 years you are living on borrowed time and it's a high risk situation. By high risk I mean if it just stops working, theres no backup plan, no insurance cover, nothing.

So buy a laptop for 3 years and hope it lasts 5.

1) Check on Notebookcheck website for the GPU you are looking to buy, you can check game performances for major titles there.

2) Nothing can be done to add life to the laptop, even if you are extremely careful with it something can still go wrong on a hardware level.

3) you cant switch GPU and CPU in most laptops, the Octane is the only one I know of that can be upgraded and even that is realistically just the CPU. The GPU has some proprietary connections from the motherboard in addition to the MXM interface, so it's down to a motherboard and GPU compatibility for the future. In fact that is the case now too, you won't be able to plug and play any old MXM GPU into a laptop that has an MXM slot. Your BIOS has to support the GPU.

Last edited:

IDSGI

Really?
Why do new laptops stop working so soon... im literally writing this on a 2004 laptop ;)
Kinda annoying, I wanted to avoid getting a desktop.

IDSGI

7 years is a dream. Laptop hardware warranty is up to 3 years (repairs) and 2 years (parts). Motherboards usually have a 3 year manufacturers warranty, but that's not available to you, only to PCS who bought the parts. The insurance you pay on the laptop will cut off after 5 years or 60 months.

Based on this, asking for a laptop to last 3 years is reasonable. 4 to 5 years you enter the medium risk territory, it is likely if it stops working in that period, you probably won't see that laptop again because it was discontinued long before then, but you can still claim it on insurance before your insurance life ends. After 5 years you are living on borrowed time and it's a high risk situation. By high risk I mean if it just stops working, theres no backup plan, no insurance cover, nothing.

So buy a laptop for 3 years and hope it lasts 5.

1) Check on Notebookcheck website for the GPU you are looking to buy, you can check game performances for major titles there.

2) Nothing can be done to add life to the laptop, even if you are extremely careful with it something can still go wrong on a hardware level.

3) you cant switch GPU and CPU in most laptops, the Octane is the only one I know of that can be upgraded and even that is realistically just the CPU. The GPU has some proprietary connections from the motherboard in addition to the MXM interface, so it's down to a motherboard and GPU compatibility for the future. In fact that is the case now too, you won't be able to plug and play any old MXM GPU into a laptop that has an MXM slot. Your BIOS has to support the GPU.

Ok, so in terms of insurance im screwed, I can deal with that, when you say 'borrowed time' and 'high risk' do you mean this in terms of the insurance or in terms of the laptop dying at any moment? 5 years will probally do to be honest.. any less than that it really isnt worth it though. Why would a laptop stop working if I didnt do anything dumb to it and I looked after it well ( good cooling, not dropping it ;) ).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Components could failed at any time, I got a vortex and I had not experience any issues since purchasing it (around 3 years). For a gaming laptop you should be replacing it sooner than 5 years if the primary use is gaming.

IDSGI

Components could failed at any time, I got a vortex and I had not experience any issues since purchasing it (around 3 years). For a gaming laptop you should be replacing it sooner than 5 years if the primary use is gaming.

5 years is fine, so long as it doesn't just die one day,
Thanks for the help