Laptop won't shut down

Ideasweasel

Hi all I have a vortex 3 and after playing some games yesterday I have developed a problem. Shutting down the laptop results in exiting windows as normal. However once shutdown the power and backlit keyboard is still on. Screen is black and no amount of clicking keys will affect it. I thought I had clicked hibernate or something. I ha to manually hold the power button down for 10 seconds to kill it. I turned on again carefully clicked shutdown. Same problem every time. Restarting pc works fine.

To turn off I have to keep forcing it off via killing the power, not comfy doing this as can damage hard drive

Any thoughts guys?

Ps took bat out for an hour and putting back in didn't help. Problem still occurs next time I shut down

paul1224

I think this type of issue could be due to a range of reasons.

I'm not an expert but it may well be worth loading windows via 'Safe Mode' and then shutting the system down to see whether it will fully shut down via safe mode.

If it does shut down fine then much more likely to be some form of driver/software issue so it may reduce where the issue could be coming from by trying the above.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
could be a few things as mentioned.
Try checking power button action,right click the shut down button/properties,
make sure power button action is set to shut down.

Ideasweasel

Interesting...I have tried safe mode. Thanks for the advice. Shuts down fine in safe mode. So some software is the problem? Or a driver maybe?

Buzz

Master
Can you check your power options pls.

Start ~ Control panel ~ Power Options.

Once there select Balanced and click change plan and then advanced power settings
In there scroll to power button and lid and make sure power button is set to shut down. (this is for when holding in the power button but has also been known to effect shut down)

Try disabling hibernation

Click on Start, type cmd, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
In the command prompt window type powercfg -h off and press Enter
Type Exit and press Enter

Change startup items
Start ~ Type Msconfig and press enter..

Once in msconfig go to services, and tick the hide all microsoft, then deselect everything else. Then click Startup tab and deselect everything there. apply and ok and restart.

Check the issue again, if it is fixed go back into Msconfig as above and re add services and startup items ONE BY ONE restarting each time one is added and checking for the issue.
This is a long process but maybe necessary to discover if a certain prog / service is causing your issue.

EDIT
Just read your last post so

Change startup items
Start ~ Type Msconfig and press enter..

Once in msconfig go to services, and tick the hide all microsoft, then deselect everything else. Then click Startup tab and deselect everything there. apply and ok and restart.

Check the issue again, if it is fixed go back into Msconfig as above and re add services and startup items ONE BY ONE restarting each time one is added and checking for the issue.
This is a long process but maybe necessary to discover if a certain prog / service is causing your issue.

Just do this part

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have a look in event viewer it may give a clue to the problem.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance & boot /shut down events.

Buzz

Master
Yes yes, Tnx vanthus, the event viewer may point u in the right direction. Something that always eludes me. Something about the event viewer, I NEVER remember to check it lol

Ideasweasel

Hi guys thanks for the responses. I would of replied sooner but have been busy with work. Ok I tried the msconfig and I am still getting the problem. Unticked all except windows ones. Problem persists and safe mode is the only safe place to shutdown. Starting to wish I wasn't a cheap skate and just bought the laptop with an OS installed. Soo many little niggles on this thing. I wouldn't know what to look for in the event log. Reckon I should take a day off work and phone tech support and do a new install whilst on the phone to them?