Laptop won't use GPU

rfdavies

I've got Intel HD Graphics 3000 and Nvidia GeForce GT 555M. I've only just noticed (rather late) that my games aren't using it; so i look into it and i see changing global and application settings sort it out. I did that and yet it still doesn't use the Nvidia card.
If it's any relevance my VGA key doesn't work and is always orange - optimus mode

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Just a thought, have you installed 'hotkey' from the drivers disk, i know when mine was delivered this was not installed and i am sure it has somthing to do with the graphics switching. I might be wrong but worth a go.

carlosmonkey

I have the exact same problem but with the HD Graphics and the Nvidia Geforce GTX660M

Does anyone have an answer for this problem?

rickne

Master Poster
I set all my games manually in Nvidia control center. Do you do this? I also have the GPU monitor to tell me which games are using the GPU over the CPU.

simagule

I have the same problem with the gtx660m Vortex Series: 15.6", i have tried changing the setting it in the nvidia control panel. But then when i start again it goes and uses the HD4000 instead, confirmed by the gpu monitor from nvidia. I have installed the lastest drivers for both the hd4000 and the nvidia card. the only program that comes on in the gpu monitor is the nvidia control panel when i have the spinning logo.

any way to fix this?

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
I have the same problem with the gtx660m Vortex Series: 15.6", i have tried changing the setting it in the nvidia control panel. But then when i start again it goes and uses the HD4000 instead, confirmed by the gpu monitor from nvidia. I have installed the lastest drivers for both the hd4000 and the nvidia card. the only program that comes on in the gpu monitor is the nvidia control panel when i have the spinning logo.

any way to fix this?

Have you tried white listing the games, ensure you have installed the intel driver first before installing the Nvidia drivers.

Regards.

C.

simagule

Have you tried white listing the games, ensure you have installed the intel driver first before installing the Nvidia drivers.

Regards.

C.
Yes i have installed both drivers a number of times and have tried to white list the programs. But it has not helped i still cant get it to use the gpu for any program other then the nvidia controll panel on the gpu monitor