Last component?

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

almost at the stage where I'm ready to start ordering my new pc.

the basics of my specs are:

i7-2700k Processor
8GB 1888mHz RAM
GTX 670
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
750w PSU
Water cooling

really the only problems I face are choosing a case and a mobo..

My plans are eventually overclocking and sli so I need a mobo that can do this and a case big enough to support this, does anyone have any suggestions?

budget for mobo is about £150 and case is about £100

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Are you ordering from PCS? I would suggest a full tower case like the Haf 932 or haf x if you plan to SLI. Why not an ivy bridge CPU?

steaky360

If you are planning on custom watercooling I would say a larger case (Haf x as Ruben suggested etc.) is probably your best option. Typically all of the larger cases can support all types of motherboard as well so you wont be limited on mobo choice from your case.

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
Are you ordering from PCS? I would suggest a full tower case like the Haf 932 or haf x if you plan to SLI. Why not an ivy bridge CPU?

More than likely, the reason I'm not going for an ivy bridge is because I've heard a lot of hype about how they get hotter when overclocked and I won't make use of the hyper threading or whatever it is, mostly going to be gaming so the 2700k is more than enough, just saving on budget really too.

Any ideas on motherboard? I don't understand all the x16 x8 / x8 x8 stuff? I need one that supports overclocking and will allow me 2 670's.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Most motherboards support overclocking and the i7 has hyper threading. If you don't want to make use of hyper threading and it is only for gaming an i5 would be a better choice. Ivy bridge processors should perform slightly better than sandy bridge.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Any ideas on motherboard? I don't understand all the x16 x8 / x8 x8 stuff?
x16 x8 refers to the PCIe bandwidth. A single GPU will run at x16 and in SLI x8 each, you could go with the P8Z77-V.

Last edited:

Narcotics

Rising Star
Hey guys,

almost at the stage where I'm ready to start ordering my new pc.

the basics of my specs are:
i7-2700k Processor
8GB 1888mHz RAM
GTX 670
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
750w PSU
Water cooling

really the only problems I face are choosing a case and a mobo..

My plans are eventually overclocking and sli so I need a mobo that can do this and a case big enough to support this, does anyone have any suggestions?

budget for mobo is about £150 and case is about £100

If you don't like any of the cases on the site you can buy one and send it in to PCS the BitFenix Shinobi XL is a nice case