Leaving a laptop plugged in ruins the battery when fully charged?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Just posting my opinions on this, my laptop is a 2014 model.

When I first got it, I left it powered on at the wall all the time, even when it was switched off. First battery didn’t last long, I replaced it in 2016.

This second one, I leave the battery connected, but turn off the mains whenever I switch it off. Battery is still good with 16% wear according to HWMonitor.

I haven’t prevented full charge or minimum charge at all.

Obviously this is an older battery without “smart” regulation.
I need to do something about mine quickly, either what you're saying or start using the flexicharger feature. My battery has 6.9% wear in just 3 months. :cry:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry, I still don't get the minimum value. If the laptop is plugged in, then how is it ever going to reach 40%? Or if it's only on battery, how will it charge itself again after reaching 40%?
I would expect it to enter critical battery level at 40% and auto shutdown to protect the battery. Though obviously only when on battery.

Interesting... So what will happen if I put 80% minimum and maximum? It will stay at 80% all the time? That's what I want.
Well based on my assumption above, if you set both to 80% it will shutdown as soon as you switch to battery! I would expect the battery to be maintained at 80% when plugged in as long as the max is 80% - it won't matter what the minimum is. Perhaps....?

FerrariVie

Super Star
I would expect it to enter critical battery level at 40% and auto shutdown to protect the battery. Though obviously only when on battery.

Well based on my assumption above, if you set both to 80% it will shutdown as soon as you switch to battery! I would expect the battery to be maintained at 80% when plugged in as long as the max is 80% - it won't matter what the minimum is. Perhaps....?
That makes more sense now, thank you 👍 will give it a try over the weekend.

Bradden

Bronze Level Poster
With flexicharge the system will maintain the charge when plugged in at whatever level it currently is.. so I have mine set to 40min 80 max.

When plugged in it simply maintains it at the level it is.. unless it has dropped to below 40% when unplugged.. at which time it will charge to 80.

If I plug it in at 65%.. it simply stays at 65% until unplugged.

Critical battery level and auto shutdown are not affected by these setting.. I guess because they are managed through the BIOS not windows. The laptop will happily operate below 40% until it hits whatever is set as the critical level in windows.

I've no idea what would happen if you set the max and min to 80%... give it a go and let us know please :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
With flexicharge the system will maintain the charge when plugged in at whatever level it currently is.. so I have mine set to 40min 80 max.

When plugged in it simply maintains it at the level it is.. unless it has dropped to below 40% when unplugged.. at which time it will charge to 80.

If I plug it in at 65%.. it simply stays at 65% until unplugged.

Critical battery level and auto shutdown are not affected by these setting.. I guess because they are managed through the BIOS not windows. The laptop will happily operate below 40% until it hits whatever is set as the critical level in windows.

I've no idea what would happen if you set the max and min to 80%... give it a go and let us know please :)
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for this - I love learning new stuff! :)