LG 27GL850

samwil

Enthusiast
Finally got my hands on one, have been looking for 2 months.

So here's a review.
I bought it from a competitor albeit at a slightly inflated price, something I would never usually do, but the reviews I've read and recommendations seemed to justify the premium for the monitor.

So it's 2560x1440 at 144hz with a 1ms Response on an IPS panel which is G-Sync Compatible.
It's price is around the £450.00 point, I paid £520.00.
It's pretty much borderless, top and sides, so much so that I thought it had a film covering the screen as the monitor has no plastic coating over the edges of the screen as is typical. It makes it seem massive, I have a 27" monitor right next to this one and it seems maybe 10-25% larger because of the nearly borderless design. They are exactly the same dimensions (Active Screen space).

So first impressions when I opened it.
Comes with everything you need to get going, various cables, Display Port, couple of variations of HDMI and a DVI. It's a metal and plastic stand and has totally tool-less assembly, the stand is extremely sturdy, its a 4" thick pole with it's magnetic seal and easy to use clips.

It's looks do not really concern me, but it has deep red accents on it and some red plastic covers which look fine, they don't look premium or cheap.

The front of the monitor however due to its borderless design looks fantastic, as said before it seems to be much larger than a equally sized monitor, this is obviously purely psychological because its virtually borderless and the front of the screen is literally flat, theres no protrusions at the edges which make the monitor seem more confined.

The actual screen. When I turned it on, I thought there was something wrong, I'll be honest, going from a monitor which I don't even know how colour accurate it is, to this. I am now aware of how low the brightness and how poor quality the colours were on my old monitor thanks to this one. This monitor is very bright and the colours are extremely vivid, It literally feels like jumping from reading something on paper, then reading off of a screen. It takes some getting used to this brightness, but it's obviously fully adjustable and all is quite easy to do with a user friendly control panel.
I haven't noticed much of a difference with ghosting etc compared to pure improvement of screen quality (brightness, pixel density and colour accuracy), although its there when you pay attention, because of the 1ms response time and high refresh rate, everything is where it should be and your gameplay is improved as you find it easier to locate targets on FPS games etc. There is not really a way to describe it than to say that the movement across the screen is refreshed way more often and there is no sort of "Drag" or "smearing" etc. One thing I will note is I have now paid alot more attention with finding a balance between frames and quality, even more so than before, because of the 144hz, the smoothness of movement across the screen is much more noticeable and seeing everything glide past is way more enjoyable than any jankyness I used to deal with at the expense of improved graphical settings.

So all in all, well worth the purchase, if you see this monitor at it's RRP of £450, grab it, even if you don't want it, you can flip it almost immediately to someone like me for £500+ haha. I just noticed I purchased the last one that was available through this retailer, it's now out of stock again, I used Pricerunner to locate a stock, so it might be an idea to keep refreshing that if your after one.

Very good monitor, much needed upgrade, feel like I'm probably in the best position I can be in regards to monitors at the moment for my preferences.

And just incase anyone asks or wants to know.

My Spec

3800x
2070 Super
16gb 3000Mhz Ram

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's a lovely monitor, similar design to my
Dell S2716DG but a fair bit cheaper. Lovely design!

Prices have taken a hit pretty much across the board, but especially with monitors, most I've seen are now around 70 - 80 quid more expensive.

Modern panels are just so good for colours and deep blacks, even on a TN panel. It's not like the old days. That combined with Adaptive Sync and it's a world apart from all the screen tearing and jitteriness of old.

Really pleased for you, and thanks for the review, will help people out.