Lightweight laptop for office work and streaming video etc.

jamdou

Hi! I've been looking for a lightweight laptop that has good performance for general office work and also some watching of videos etc. online (I have a dedicated gaming desktop already). I've been more taken with the Fusion 3 than with the Lafite due to the smaller bezel, and think the following spec best suits my needs:

Chassis & Display
Fusion Series: 14" Matte Full HD 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-8265U (1.60GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 520 MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 65W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Fusion Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9560 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
FUSION SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang PF4WN2F (2GB MX250, i5-8265U, GB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Price: £703.00 including VAT and Delivery

My main question is which ssd would be better, the 256GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 or the 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD? The PCle has faster read and write speeds but is cheaper for some reason. Is this because it wouldn't last as long? If anyone could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When you say office work, what exactly do you mean?

The ADATA drive isn't really a very good drive, it's pretty much got standard SATA SSD speeds but in an M2 format. The PCS drive is much better value, and I'm sure quality will be absolutely fine also although they're brand new drives. Reliability concerns isn't really a factor anymore with SSD's, they're over specced these days and are very resilient.

jamdou

Thanks for the speedy reply!

By office work I mean mainly word procesing, web browsing and also running some software that is specific to my work (ChemDraw and TopSpin), but I don't believe these to be too taxing. I'm not going to be doing video or picture editing for example.

Thank you for your advice with regards to the SSD's, I wasn't really sure what the difference was. I will chose one of the PCS drives when I submit my order.

Do you think the rest of the spec looks okay? Having done some reading I didn't really feel I needed an i7 or any more RAM for the applications I needed and I'm trying to stick to a budget of around £700

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the speedy reply!

By office work I mean mainly word procesing, web browsing and also running some software that is specific to my work (ChemDraw and TopSpin), but I don't believe these to be too taxing. I'm not going to be doing video or picture editing for example.

Thank you for your advice with regards to the SSD's, I wasn't really sure what the difference was. I will chose one of the PCS drives when I submit my order.

Do you think the rest of the spec looks okay? Having done some reading I didn't really feel I needed an i7 or any more RAM for the applications I needed and I'm trying to stick to a budget of around £700
No, I think that spec looks really well suited, I think you're right, there's no requirement for an i7 for your uses.

That should do the job handsomely I'd say. The screen (although a budget notebook) punches well above the price point for colours and blacks. It's an unusual fitting for such a budget chassis but would be appreciated for media playback. And the GPU is probably overpowered for your uses, but at a really good price, I say that purely to let you know that it will probably handle some older titles at respectable framerates if you did get the desire for a quick nostalgic venture whilst you're out and about.

I think you'd be very happy with that :)