Limited access help.

eagleonthelast

Since my daughters new laptop arrived, from day one after starting up and wirelessly connecting to the internet, after about five minutes the connection is lost, stating limited access. The only way I've got round this is to right click on the internet icon and open the sharing centre, then click on my network adaptor, then disable it then enable it. This works fine until I turn the laptop off, when it is turned on again the same thing happens and I have to go through the same procedure, can anyone please please explain to me how I correct this permanently? Windows 7 is the OP.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You should try deleting the profile that Windows stores for this hotspot. If the info in the profile ever gets out of sync with the hotspot you'll see a Limited connection.

To delete the profile open the Network and Sharing Center and click on the Manage Wireless Networks menu option on the left. In the window that opens click on the icon for your hotspot (to highlight it) and then click the Remove menu item on the top line. When you reconnect you will have to enter the password again and if you click the Connect Automatically box Windows will create a new profile to do that.

Generally, whenever you have connection problems via WiFi the first thing you should try is deleting the existing profile and reconnecting, it's often the cause of problems.

Edit: The above assumes that you are using Windows to make WiFi network connections and not a third-party application (perhaps supplied with the network adapter). Long experience has taught me that Windows generally makes a much better job of connecting to and managing WiFi networks than almost any third-party tool I've seen. So if you are using a third-party connection tool look for an option (usually a checkbox) that says Allow Windows to Manage Wireless Connections (or something similar).

Last edited: