Linux laptop spec

davep

I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my 10-year-old Clevo model. It will be used exclusively for Linux, for web and software development and general tinkering around, so doesn't need to be a high spec. However the old laptop had a 1400x1050 screen and so I want the new one to be at least as good.

I was set to order the Genesys IV model with 1900x1080 matte screen, however the configurator says that screen won't work with the built-in Intel graphics and requires an Nvidia card. I've seen mention elsewhere on the Forum that there are issues with dual-graphics-cards machines under Linux, so I'd like some reassurance that it will actually work before ordering.

My distro of choice is Mageia 2.

Dave

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Hmm, strange, I thought the intel hd 4000 graphics on at least the 3630QM should be able to accomodate the full hd screen. It does for the voyager's 1920x1080 screen. I'm getting this issue checked into, I'll let you know on the outcome :) !

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Ok, been told why you can't get it with integrated graphics. It's the chassis, not the graphics that supports the screen. Because the GPUs are generally specific to a chassis so it's different laptops for each gpu, the ones that support the full hd screens happen to be the ones with the discrete gpus in. However, I don't see a problem with you getting a dedicated GPU, I've never tried Magiea 2 but nVidia drivers are very good, it is also only one GPU, not two. Don't think there should be too much of a problem!

davep

Very many thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Re your comment "it is also only one GPU, not two", does this mean that the laptop doesn't have the "Optimus" GPU-switching feature? It is this which is not available in Linux, and although there is an open-source replacement called 'bumblebee' (a) it is not packaged by Mageia (b) it seems to assume that you want to run one specific application at native resolution rather than the entire desktop.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Hmm, yes, in general they do come with optimus technology. If you don't mind the larger screen size, may I suggest a voyager laptop? The integrated graphics on then can take the 1920x1080 screen :)

davep

Sorry for the delay, I've been away. This is the spec I ordered; nothing fancy, just the items I need at a very reasonable price.

Chassis & Display
Voyager: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£35)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-3110M (2.40GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 Video Memory Technology up to 1.7GB
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Voyager Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (48.84WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity