Logitech Mouse for Gaming?

MeveM

Bright Spark
So, don't know how many mice I've concidered, I'm still struggling to find a good one.

I'll go through some of them.

Razer Death Adder: Tried at PCworld, My hands are too big, my ring finger rests uncomfortably on the bend at the front right side, (I hold my mouse with a palm grip, having my palm rest on the back of the mouse, not necessarily the full palm mind.)

Razer Mamba: Same shape as above, so same reason to not buy.

R.A.T 7: Tried it in PCworld, due to hand size the palm needed to be far back, creating a issue where the mouse tips backwards.

Steel Series WoW Mouse: Tried it in PCworld, the mouse size was perfect for my hand, however, the buttons and the mouse itself felt a bit flimsy, the side buttons were clicked by a gust of wind.

Now I remember a lot of my mates using the logitech G500 mouse many years ago, and with SWTOR coming out soon, which will be my main game, I was looking at the G700, it seemingly looks very comfy and the buttons looks really nice, watched a video review and the buttons were supposed to be excellent to press due to design etc, only negative parts were the apparent Razer Mamba style charging wire (wired or wireless mouse by choice) is a bit still, but that wouldn't bother me, and the mouse wheel is a bit crap, but i rarely use that.

My only concern about it is it's size, you can never tell by online pictures, people who review mice tend to have womens hands that fit all mice.

I'm currently using a Intelli Mouse 1.1, which I've used for the past 8+ years, I've had 2 so far, and my 2nd is breaking, I really want to get a new mouse designed for gaming and strugglingly massively.

Anyone got a G700 whom can tell me how the size is?

Really wish there was a shop that sold gaming mice so you can actually try how they feel in your hand before buying, PCworld have some, but it's very limited.

Last edited:

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I have a Sidewinder x8 and love it; if you have a look on Ebay you can get a great deal on a refurbished one, as Microsoft are dropping their Sidewinder line of gaming gear. Might be worth a look for you at least; its large mouse; have big hands too lol. They all come with a 3yr warranty. Cant really argue with that if you like the mouse.

I think its great; good response times; up to 4000dpi and ability to set macros etc. :) Just dont use it on a cloth mousemat! If then the refurbished one is not to your tastes or standards, or gives up the ghost; give Microsoft a ring as I did, and get a replacement for nothing. Was very impressed with their support. The refurbished one I got was great but the charger it came with was broken; which didnt exactly stop me using it but was annoying. Explained the situation, gave a product number and received a brand new mouse and charger in a week. Just another idea for you.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Oh my God, that mouse looks nice. Does your thumb fit right between those two buttons? How have I not come across that mouse before.

It's this one right? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-3HA-00003-Sidewinder-X8-Mouse/dp/B001DCELH2
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/91516...=0&searchstring=sidewinder+x8&urlrefer=search

Says they've got new ones?

Is there a wired version? Or does it have a wire option to plug in? I play a lot on a daily basis, day in and day out, having it sit on a stand would not fit my daily routine, and it'd be expensive battery wise to buy new over and over.

Last edited:

NMEBowen

Master Poster
the rat can be fully customised meaning you can change where your palm sits, if you went back to pc world and said can i alter this to see how well it fits my hand they my oblige if you alter the palm peice you may find the reason you didnt like it is unfounded. there isnt a point in asking wheat others recommend as everyone prefers a different shape so you went about it the correct way go to a pc mouse stockest and try as many as you can till you find a shape that fits you, but as i said you may find that the rat when set to your hand shape is the ideal mouse.

edit: i have a verbatim rapier v1, its old but if your into a palm grip and want the option of a dpi selector its ideal you just need to get used to the scroll wheel being on the left side of the mouse.

Last edited:

MeveM

Bright Spark
To be honest, DPI doesn't really concern me much, I think my current one has 500, no option to change, I've never found any problem with sensitivity, only place I've ever noticed it is in BF3 vehicles where the turrets turn sluggish.

I just want a comfortable mouse, with extra buttons. Sidewinder x8 has 2 extra, ideally it'd want more, I'd use one for Ventrilo push to talk, and others for MMO abilities. I don't like the look of the Naga, but the G700 has some nice extra buttons and its shape looks nice. Sadly I don't know anyone with one, nor any shop with one. It's really bad how such a important, and varied product can't be tried out before purchase, especially when they're like £90, if you don't like the feel, you've wasted £90. Wish they actually put some measurements in the details.

My concern regarding the G700 is that the reviews I've read says it's got software issues, but all reviews I find are from september 2010, surely it's been sorted since.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
the verbatim you can select from 500+ so if your comftable with 500dpi on your current mouse you can keep it as that or just push the switch forward to go up in 500dpi incraments as far as extra buttons my verbatim has 3 one where the scroll wheel is on regular mice and two thumb buttons on the left side. honestly if you have big hands and like to palm grasp is a brilliant mouse expecially concidering its only 24 quid compaired to the 65 i paid for mine. i should also point out ive had mine going on 5 years.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Basically, my partner is buying me a mouse for chrismas, but she wants me to pick it for obvious reasons, so it's not a money issue, to get anything cheap.

So atm I'm thinking Logitech G700 or Sidewinder 8, not quite sure, wish someone here on the PCS forums had a G700 whom could give me their impression on it's quality/comfort/size.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Right, so I just received my G700 mouse, it feels awesome, the buttons are awesome everything is awesome EXCEPT... Setpoint, the logitech mouse program, I cannot get it to work, it will not detect my mouse, it gives me a error when installing setpoint, yet setpoint does get installed, I am using the mouse fine, it's drivers were installed automatically by Windows and I cannot find anywhere to uninstall my old Microsoft Intelli optical mouse since it's drivers are basically built into windows.

I cannot get any of my additional buttons to work in BF3 either, sadly I don't have any MMO installed atm to try the buttons in there.

Anyone got a logitech product that knows how to sort out this pretty darned frustrating Setpoint issue? I've googled all the errors and none of the answers apply/work for me.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've got a logitech keyboard, my had dad problems with setpoint for years, kept popping up on start up everytime.

obvious but have you tried unistall, restart then install again.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I've got a logitech keyboard, my had dad problems with setpoint for years, kept popping up on start up everytime.

obvious but have you tried unistall, restart then install again.

Multiple times, also tried old versions, as old as 2 years old. I can get setpoint up, but it will not detect my G700 at all.

"Setpoint did not detect any supported devices, please check your connection." Well the connection is fine, I'm using it. I've also tried both with wire, and wireless, with many different USP ports. No cake.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Multiple times, also tried old versions, as old as 2 years old. I can get setpoint up, but it will not detect my G700 at all.

"Setpoint did not detect any supported devices, please check your connection." Well the connection is fine, I'm using it. I've also tried both with wire, and wireless, with many different USP ports. No cake.

I'd drop logitech support an email mate.

davcor

I have the G5 which is the G500 predecessor and its great, 2 years now and no issues. Its feel good in your hand and the ability to add weights to the just right for you is great.

I know the G700 is the "new" one from Logtiech but personal i want a wired mouse for gaming. Nothing worse then power going while your in the middle of a fight.

Last edited:

MeveM

Bright Spark
Just a update, got it working thanks to the support on the logitech forum, took 4 hours for a responce not bad concidering he answered 5am in USA :p.

Had to go into device manager, update my mouse drivers manually and select a logitech product driver. It changed the manufacturer to logitech instead of microsoft due to its automatic driver installs. After that Setpoint detected the mouse and its working perfect so far.

Can't recomment the mouse enough, awesome feel and the buttons are perfect.